I Forge Iron

1.75lb Bow Tie axe

Hey guys, here's one finished up recently. Forged from 10 in x 1.5 in x .5 in mild with a 2.5 x 1.5 x 3/8 in spring steel insert for the bit. I forged this to use with my chisel I forged a while back. We're adding a 125 year old red oak log cabin onto my parents log cabin from the 60's. The main goal of this project was to not only make some tools and use them the old way but to also put my heat treat through it's paces. This old red oak is hard... like $9 dollars worth of jawbreakers hard. So far, I'm completely ecstatic with how my heat treat is holding up. I did do this heat treat the old fashioned way though, not in my Paragon kiln. After quenching I waiting for my colors to change to where I wanted them and then quenched again. I know this is a pretty risky way to do a heat treat, but I really wanted to try things the old way. I did have to re-grind the chisel to have a bit less steep grind. The axe handle is proving to be a nice fit, too, being ash. I like working ash more than hickory, and it looks better to my eye. I've been using the axe to shave uneven surfaces and clean up the notches for our mortise and tenon on each log. Thanks for looking, guys! Happy Forging! 

IMG_20170708_132448_358.jpg

3 hours ago, Gergely said:

Hi BF,

Very nice and clean axe you have there! So nice it made me want to make one :) 

Apropo: I do all my axe HT-s the same way you described. It works pretty well and is easy.

Bests:

Gergely

Thanks, Gergely! Happy forging to you! Share photos of the one you make! 

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, bobasaurus said:

Excellent axe.  Is it wrapped or punched?  I've never tried one, but really want to.  

Thanks, Bob! This is folded. I really like this style, I find it easier than punching eyes. I can get these a lot straighter. It can just be hard to get enough meat for the poll unless you swap up to larger stock, which I am contemplating. I think my next experiment will be with 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 10 or maybe even 3/4. 

3 hours ago, Benton Frisse said:

It can just be hard to get enough meat for the poll unless you swap up to larger stock, which I am contemplating. I think my next experiment will be with 5/8 x 1 1/2 x 10 or maybe even 3/4. 

Since you're obviously able to forge weld, may I make a suggestion? Instead of using thicker bar resulting in more drawing down the rest, why not weld on a piece at the back of the pole. Maybe welding on a piece of 1/2" after you get the steps forged in would be enough.  Never did it myself but I have seen mention of it somewhere.

14 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

Since you're obviously able to forge weld, may I make a suggestion? Instead of using thicker bar resulting in more drawing down the rest, why not weld on a piece at the back of the pole. Maybe welding on a piece of 1/2" after you get the steps forged in would be enough.  Never did it myself but I have seen mention of it somewhere.

That's a great idea! I had completely forgotten about that option, honestly. I think I will take this route next time. I have some 5160 that would weld nicely to it! Thanks, Michael.

4 hours ago, Benton Frisse said:

That's a great idea! I had completely forgotten about that option, honestly. I think I will take this route next time. I have some 5160 that would weld nicely to it! Thanks, Michael.

Look forward to seeing the next one you make. I need to make my tools so I can make a couple myself.