I Forge Iron

Draw Knife from a leafspring

This is my first ever bladed tool, have never mad a knife or anything meant to hold an edge but I have need of a draw knife so I figured why not just make one!

It is forged from a portion of leafspring off of a ford raptor. Not knowing exactly what type of steel it was I cut a small piece and heated it to forging temperature a few times giving it a few hits with a hammer each time, then normalized x3, then heated until non magnetic (my high temp thermocouple hasn't arrived yet) and quenched in mineral oil. It hardened to the point I could snap it in a vice with a very light tap from a hammer and it showed a very very fine grain.

This all seemed to point to it being reasonably quality carbon steel and that my heat treating process was sound, on to forging!

it is about 1/4" thick along the spine, and I have hand hammered the bevel to a relatively consistent point. I did three normalizing cycles and this is the product so far.

IMG_2724.JPG