I Forge Iron

And So It Begins

Recently my wife became the director of a living museum based in the 19th century that has a working blacksmith shop.  It took less than a month for her to get me signed up and volunteering there.  I immediately got bit by the forging bug and went on a journey to find an anvil that would fit my entry level budget.  Earlier this week I happened to be browsing these forums and found a post from another user about a Mousehole Forge anvil located in Spencer, MA for $200.  I immediately called the gentlemen and he said he had someone coming to look at it later that night but that if it didn't go through he would give me a call and I could come get it.  Well, I'm a firm believer of money talks and BS walks, so I told him i'd throw him an extra couple bucks if he told this guy to kick rocks and let me come get it right now.  He said he liked money (don't we all) and I hopped in the car for an hour drive to go pick it up.  He thought it needed a full restoration, but really all it needed was a good cleaning. He also thought it was between 80-100 lbs.  After picking it up to put it in the car I immediately knew it was heavier than that.  After cleaning it up I found that it was 128 lbs.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with my first ever anvil purchase.

qJNG9w2.jpg

ZV9JmyJ.jpg

zNLjyVh.jpg

BX1AkPB.jpg

Thanks man.  I'm from the Springfield, MA area.  This one is actually going into my shop at home.  They have plenty of their own.

xL21G06.jpg

PvNk7jv.jpg

Yh967iK.png

Some pics of the blacksmith shop I work in. It was moved from Chesterfield, NH and reassembled brick by brick back in Springfield.

Now I'm mad I didn't run out and pick that beauty up that Monday!  Seriously!  But I'm glad someone here on IFI got it.  I knew the seller was clueless about what he had.  Congrats on your anvil!

Lou

Thanks guys!  I do have a question.  It appears that a piece broke off in the pritchel hole.  You can kind of see it in the 3rd picture.  Any recommendations on how to get it out? Just drill? I was also considering hitting it with the torch and trying to punch it out maybe? Thoughts?

Hard to see in the photo. What is it that's stuck in there? 

I'd be cautious of anything that might spoil the temper of the hardened steel plate.

If this were mine, I'd hit it with penetrating oil first, then see if punching can dislodge it. If not, drilling and punching out the fragments might be a good way to go. 

First I'd try punching it up from the underside. Second I'd try soaking in penetrating oil then punching it out. Third I'd do like JHCC suggested and drill just undersized to it then punch out the remaining. I wouldn't touch it with a torch.