I Forge Iron

What IS this?

Just out of intense curiosity I have searched online for everything I could think of...even tried to see if it was a weird mooring bollard/bit.  Nothing has come up.  It has no hardy or pritchel holes and has a very narrow base.  I can't figure out what use would require such a strange shape.  I searched what I could on the Cape Ann Tool Co. and found that they made lots of tools for the granite industry next door and originally started as a blacksmith shop.  They had a 100 ton drop forge and that "thing" appears to be forged and not cast (just based on the stamped maker's mark).  I really would like to figure that thing out.  It's officially driving me nuts.

Agreed, the narrowness of the waist is a real conundrum.  It just doesn't look like it was made to be beat on in an industrial way despite the fact that it is so thick on top.  Deep down I feel like this was originally a bollard for mooring a ship.  It may have been on deck of a large ship.

I thought the base looked too flimsy for that purposes and an hour of searching online didn't produce a bollard even close to similar...but I couldn't find an anvil even partly resembling it either.  I even peruse a bunch of copies of Iron Age on Google Books if they had certain key terms I was looking for.   In the dark, deep down I know there is an answer I just haven't found yet because I haven't asked the right questions.  The makers mark isn't the key but I can't verify its meaning.  

I know now this is a pointless exercise but I do so enjoy this type of hunt.

Don't overlook the possibility that someone in the past had a sense of humor similar to Thomas Powers.  Didn't he say a couple times that he was going to leave behind objects for no other reason than to confuse/confound people in the future?