I Forge Iron

Another question. How does the tire hammer work?

How does the tire hammer work? I see the flywheel but I do not understand the arms and spring connected to hammer. Any one have a print or something to go by. I would like to see one up close and personal.:D:D Any one near Rome Ga. have one I could see?:confused:
Thanks,
Canman:cool:

How does it work? Very well, thank-you!

The flyweel has an offset crankpin that the pitman attaches too and the arms/spring to the pitman and the hammer head to the arms/spring assembly.

As the flywheel turns it pulls the hammer head up and then down---due to the offset crankpin. The spring allows you to store power and throw the hammer head with a snap getting a stronger blow. It also helps that the system is not hard linked so it can deal with different thicknesses without blowing up like a press system does when you use too big a piece in it.

You still need to adjust the height of the die if you are doing a lot of work out of your normal range though. Most hammers do this adjustment by moving the arm/spring assembly up/down on the pitman arm.

Thanks Thomas.
I understand about the flywheel moving the hammer up and down via the off set pin but I could not understand the horizontal springs on the connecting rods. It is making more sense now. I want to build a "tire hammer" but I did not understand the spring and con rod assembly. Maybe I can round up enough materials to build one before the year is out. Time is traveling way too fast. I have too many "irons in the fire" now. Maybe the pace will slow down and I can get back to the forge for some R and R, and stress relief. Thanks again for your explanation. The only way it could be better would be if it was accompanied by a detailed blueprint.:D:D:D

canman:cool:

Canman,
I've copied and pasted the add that Clay Spencer put in the classified section. His plans are very detailed and well worth the money. They'll save you a lot of time with your design. He also sell the springs and aluminum pulley wheels that he uses in the workshop builds. These hammers are amazing for the money required to build them.

Ray Clontz Tire Hammer Plans by Clay Spencer

These plans are for a 50 lb. power hammer that uses the rear axle and hub from a front drive car and emergency spare tire and weighs about 700 lbs. It is powered by a 1 hp, 1750 rpm electric motor, 120 or 240 volts, runs about 250 blows per minute and uses a spring toggle mechanism similar to Little Giant hammers. The anvil is 6" solid round (minimum size) by 36" high and the frame is 5" square tubing. The plans are 40 pages, printed front and back on 20 sheets that include parts list, detail and assembly drawings, sources, notes, installation, adjustments and maintenance. Over 200 hammers have been built using these plans. Price is $30US including postage to US and Canada, $32US to other countries. Send check or money order to Clay Spencer, 73 Penniston Private Drive, Somerville, AL 35670. Tel: (256) 498-1498 or E-mail clay@tirehammer.com for info. Also, Clay leads workshops for chapters or groups to build 15 to 20 hammers and has Tire Hammers for sale, $2000.

Canman,
I've heard that Ray Clontz, who invented the Tirehammer, thinks rod end bearings(5/8") from Grainger work well as substitute for the welded toggle arms. Just attach the rod ends with threaded rods and lock nuts and there's your toggle arms. I feel that this is much safer for in-experienced welders. I'm not accusing you of being in-experienced, I just wanted to state that just in case. Good luck

• 7 months later...

There is a short video of my tire hammer working in the gallery. With scrounging/trading I built mine for around a hundred dollars. I used the rusty plans to get an idea and worked out my own style. Plenty of adjustments for throw length and other things. Ram and die is 32 pounds and hits around 275 a minute with a 1 1/2 hp motor from an old air compressor. It's not a little Giant but it works great. With some encouragement I may haul off and make a blue print--

• 10 months later...
Canman,
I've heard that Ray Clontz, who invented the Tirehammer, thinks rod end bearings(5/8") from Grainger work well as substitute for the welded toggle arms. Just attach the rod ends with threaded rods and lock nuts and there's your toggle arms. I feel that this is much safer for in-experienced welders. I'm not accusing you of being in-experienced, I just wanted to state that just in case. Good luck

you got a picture of that ...i think your talking about "Stem
weldment ,PN 209" from what you've said I'm not sure