I Forge Iron

Mousehole Anvil Arched Foot

I recently picked up a 185lb mousehole for 1.75/pound in pretty decent condition.

My question is, I notice there is a very distinct arch on the bottom of the foot that seems quite intentional. The arch means that only the corners touch a flat surface. My instinct is to try and "fill" this arch in with something (lead, silicon...) to both deaden the ring and allow for a more solid contact point between the anvil and stand. Does anyone know the purpose of this arch? Do all Mousehole anvils have this? My other anvil is an "American" and has a flat bottom and do most other anvils I have seen. I will post a picture when I get a chance. 

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Many anvils have similar hollows underneath, and as long the anvil is sitting firmly on its base, it shouldn't be a problem. 

Where in southern VT are you? I'll be in Bennington in early August, and I'd be happy to meet up.

I think I am going to try silicone caulk underneath it. From what I've read that works pretty well. Hopefully it doesn't affect the  performance at all. 

I'm fairly close to Bennington, though likely will be away during the beginning of August. 

Construction adhesive also works great, I've got a bed about half of inch under my mouse hole anvil and it works great it does both help silence and hold that anvil . My Sisco supreme is got that and band straps on it and it's still loud without magnets on it.