I Forge Iron

Anvil Find

I found a small anvil about 12 years ago when i was digging up potatoes in a feild in the uk, I have got it out of the attic again and am just curious, i think it is made of stone, but could also have some metals in it.  it is only small  about 6 to seven inches long and about 5 to 6 inches in height.  Can anyone shed any light on it please

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

Difficult to give any clear suggestions from the information supplied, I agree with Lou, take it down the County Archeologist Dept, if you dont know where or they are a bit too far from you then a local museum may be able to offer some assistance. I hope you made a note of where, in which field you found it as being the UK it could be any age and may not have been alone! If it is a stone artifact rather than metal....well it could be any age, what ever it turns out to be!

Just be aware if you take it to an archeologist or university for help identifying there's a good chance they'll "conserve" it to their collection and maybe even thank you for the donation. Just be sure you're okay with the possibility, it could be a paeoleoarcheological artefact even.

Frosty The Lucky.