I Forge Iron

Soundproofing

Hey guys.. I'm in the process of putting down some slabs for an outdoor shelter that Im planning on putting my forge in. Along with my anvil (such as it is)

My question is, Since this is going in my back garden (in a residential area). Should I use sound insulation in the walls to minimize annoyance to neighbours, or will that just mean i'll need ear protection? What's your thoughts? What insulation would you recommend, if any?

I recently finished making the world's tiniest and quietest smithy in part of a my shed. The space is no bigger than 33 sq. feet. I used rockwool in the walls to reduce the noise as much as possible and for additional fireproofing. It's not 100% sound proof since my shed is built on floor joists off the ground, but I can forge at night without bothering the neighbors.

I have a video series on my adventures on youtube. Look up How to Build A Small Blacksmith Shop by eviltwinx. Maybe you'll see something that you'll find helpful. Or maybe you'll laugh.

Here in the us, just play very loud music... 

The courts decided it's freedom of speech...

All kidding aside, walls are more important than a roof. Dense, thick materials are beter than thin ( think brick vs a drum head) if you install a roof it will reflect sound back down, so it must be thick as well. The old black coated fiber board used for insulated sheathing, as well as the new foam insulated sheathing works well, as dose masonry. Sheat metal not so well.

Cool Mutant, well done. Reminds me of the story of an internet acquaintance I met right after the net went public. He was a semi disabled retiree living on the 9th. floor of a retirement condo somewhere I don't recall in Florida. He forged blades and once we figured out how to send pictures to the email.list we all got to drool over them. His entire shop fit in unsuspicious looking boxes in a closet. He set up the forge and anvil on the balcony the grinder in the closet. He said the grinder was the hard noise to mask. I believe it was a belt grinder but that was a while go. The hammering he could mask by timing it with music so what little got past the damping was masked by the beat of the music. His was the first coffee can forge I ever heard of. 

I wish we'd kept in touch, at least well enough I knew how he was doing tough he was in his mid 70s in the mid 1980s. 

Stealth smithies are good things it's where you find the considerate creative folk. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/9/2017 at 6:28 PM, Frosty said:

Cool Mutant, well done.

Thanks Frosty! Took me a while to complete but I've done a few projects in it at night and so far so good. They say necessity is the mother of all invention. I'm just throwing a little common sense in as well.

I love being creative and luckily, it's what I do for a living.

5 hours ago, mutant said:

Thanks Frosty! Took me a while to complete but I've done a few projects in it at night and so far so good. They say necessity is the mother of all invention. I'm just throwing a little common sense in as well.

I love being creative and luckily, it's what I do for a living.

Credit where it's due, it's a nice set up. I don't know if necessity is the mother of ALL invention, some of us just like to mess with stuff. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.