I Forge Iron

Forge still not hot enough

Ok. so I attempted to make a T burner. I thought it came out ok considering that I couldnt get the threads right(crooked). But I was able to get the burner burning. The temp gets rebar to bright orange heat but it wont go any higher. The body of the forge is solid cast mortar and firebrick. It is about 3/4 inch thick. I am guessing that is the reason for my problem but im not entirely sure. Both mouths of the forge are open and quite a bit of flame shoots out of them so thats something as well.

so you are trying to heat the firebricks and casing and the shop, you need to insulate your forge by lining it with a ceramic blanket and then protect that with a ridgidiser so you dont breath in the fibers, also make doors for it to keep the heat in

frosty or one of the other gas experts will be here soon with more details

I know that I need ceramic blanket. Is there anything I can do for the time being? I just cant afford a full ceramic insulated forge just yet. As soon as I have the money I will put the proper forge body together. I suppose what I'm asking is this: if I cover the forge body in pearlite could i get enough insulation to heat up the forge or am I just out of luck until I get insulation?

Its not. I have a trickle stream of excess cash to spend on my hobbies. Thats why I cant outright buy the stuff I need. I also havent bought propane since a little under a year, mainly because I dont have a working forge. At this point I guess Ill put it on hold till I can afford the materials I need. Any idea what I should be aiming for? i dont need a large forge, just maybe average or slightly smaller.

Well the forge I've been using for the last 25 years or so takes 2' of 1" kaowool 24 inches wide.  It's 1' deep and the 24" is the circumference so two layers.  That's US$18 + shipping from Wayne Coe Then I would line it with plistix so another $15.

My forge shell was free and all the "fittings" can be scrounged and riveted on using old nails for rivets if you don't have access to someone who welds.