I Forge Iron

Happy Independance Day

Mark Ling

May we remember what happened this day, and remember what a dang good country this is.

Have a nice independence day.

Littleblacksmith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Oh I forgot to ask, anyone doing an anvil shoot?

yes, please don't blow off any extremities. Had a friend last summer loose a finger, he said it wasn't very fun.

Littleblacksmith

we did a mess of fireworks last night and had one fall over, which sent a half dozen exploding balls of phosphorus for 100 feet in every direction as it spun around on the ground.:unsure: i was setin um off and it kept me on my toes to keep out of the way. 

Oooohhh but ain't they fun! My brother and his friends were over last night, and ya know those mortars that you are supposed to shoot up into the air and the go off, they are the ones that when you hear fireworks, it's what you think off. Well, we through a couple in our pond, and it was purty cool. It made a nice big splash, and then it exploded and sent colors everywhere coming out of the water, it looked nice.  On new years we do flash light tag, it's basically sorta like hid and go seek, but its on our property in the woods in the dark, and so you go lookin around for the people, and during the game we's always setting off fireworks to through them off our hiding spot.

Like I said, they are bunches of fun, but ya still gotta be a little careful. Like you said though, it keeps you on your feet!

Littleblacksmith

Littleblacksmith

Went and looked at a pickup truck: 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 Prerunner, extended cab, 2wd, 85K miles!  Unfortunately the seats are basically on the floorboards and runs like it's off road on smooth city streets and you have to climb up into it.  Wife says it's a no go.

Tomorrow after work we look at another pickup: 1998 Toyota Tacoma, 4 cylinder, regular cab, 2wd, 114K miles, *much* cheaper; but I'll really miss being able to store stuff securely and out of the rain.  (I explained to my wife that a 6 cylinder running  under  low load will generally outlast a 4 cylinder running under more load most of the time. No luck)

Saw several more examples of the current Scam being run on vehicles on craigslist.  Now I recognize it I report them as I find them.

Happy Independence Day all! Thanks LBS I saw your subject line this morning and it got me to thinking. I really LIKE celebrating the event more than a day on the calendar. Not that there's anything wrong with celebrating July 4th. it's the recognized symbol of the event. Still. . .

Thank you everyone who has or is serving in the military. We own this glorious experiment of a country to your blood sweat and tears. 

Here's to YOU!

Frosty The Lucky.

I've worked on a number of international projects and some of my colleagues were surprised that we were still on our original constitution, their countries have had several (and some had pretty rapid turnovers on their constitutions...)

I've enjoyed international travel and always enjoy getting home and being on US soil again. (even when I'm doing it 5 times a week!)

Almost forgot to tell ya'll this. The other night on the news (no, I typically don't watch the news, that is when we get that channel!) they were talking about fireworks. apparently it is illegal to OWN ANY FIREWORKS! it is also illegal to DRIVE THROUGH TOWN WITH FIREWORKS!!!! oh, but in Bryan (town next door) if you have fireworks that are unopened in the package, it is legal, but is illegal if the package is opened. I've never heard anything so ridiculous! heck, let's legalize marijuana but you can't own fireworks!!

none of ya'll heard me talking about shooting off fireworks.....

everybody around us was shootin them off, so they really cant do much.

Littleblacksmith

That's really strange. Maybe they meant illegal only when it's not around the 4th? We're only allowed to shoot them off for a week here, but I think it's legal to own them at any time. OTOH, almost any kind of firework is legal out here as long as you don't live in town...

Had a great 4th. I have a couple Canadian friends that come down for it each year. Among all the other fun we came up with skeet shooting eggs. ( didn't have any clays but the chickens have been producing more then I can use or sell. ) 

no injurys and no police or fire departments called to my place so it went great. :) 

We had a nice 4th. though we had a couple dogs needing comforting. Thundershirts are a great product for nervous dogs.

When I moved here in 72 you could buy fireworks almost anywhere outside of the Incorporated Anchorage city limits. However the gvt. started doing one of the ONLY things they're supposed to do see if they could make life safer. Looking back over the records it turns out something like 80-90% of all forest fires were caused by fireworks. The Sterling burn, the Kenai burn, fairwell burn were all BIG forest fires started by fireworks. More recently was the Miller's Reach fire in '96 it burned something like 37,000 acres and 350 structures. IIRC more than 100 homes. That one was close I was doing a demo at the local Ren Faire held on the hillside that year. You could see the fire storm when the wind blew the smoke clear enough. Fire tornadoes were throwing trees hundreds of feet in the air to be blown down wind by the strong NW wind. 

Started by a couple few teen agers having a bottle rocket fight in the woods. They weren't breaking the law so . . . 

As much fun as I used to have with fireworks, I'm okay with them being illegal most places in Alaska now. Mostly it keeps the man started fires farther from towns and cities. Something like 75% of ALL forest fires are man caused.

<sigh>  Frosty The Lucky.

This was the first Independence day with this dog, and thankfully she seemed to do fine with the fireworks.

On the news the other night they were talking about a grass fire that started in town because of someone having a blowout sending hot rubber into the grass and catching it on fire. I had never heard of a fire starting 'cause of a blowout, and worse, the jerks left the scene and didn't report the fire.

Littleblacksmith

51 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

We were *safe* we had our bottle rocket wars in an abandoned large underground limestone mine. Lots of break down on the floor and very unstable ceilings!

oooohhhhh that sounds like fun!

Littleblacksmith