I Forge Iron

Muscular Oak and Steel Bench

swedgemon

My son came to visit for a few days - he asked me to help make a bench for his dining room table.  We followed my previous bench/end table format, adding quarter-braces, as seen in the photos.  The top is 2" oak, recently slabbed with an Alaska mill and dried for 3 weeks in my solar wood kiln (starting moisture 35%, moisture after 3 weeks less than 7%).  Legs are 1 1/2" square tube, distressed under the power hammer, spreaders are 5/8" square and 3/4" square, twisted and tapered.  Quarter-braces are 5/8" round and 1/2" round, textured and twisted.  Wrappings are 1/4" round, tapered at both ends.  Finish will be Minwax Red Oak stain and 2 coats of clear satin polyurethane...finish on the steel will be clear satin enamel.  Note to those doing similar "wrapping" work: passing 30" 1/4" rod through legs that are 9" apart gets downright dangerous - best accomplished with a "torchman" (OK, torchperson) and a second person with pliers and a small hammer to tap the 1/4" into place, and they need to be very conscious of where their partner is at all times.

DSCN0162.JPG

DSCN0166.JPG

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

I like that!  Are the braces and stretchers secured by wrapping only, or is there a weld under there?  How did you manage any tweaking needed to keep it from rocking on a slightly longer leg?  What kind of power hammer is that?  Looks pretty hefty... -- Dave

There is a small weld under each wrapping.  The floor in my shop is kinda up and kinda down in places - when we get the bench inside on some level floors and determine which legs are short, I'll glue a piece of leather to the two short legs and all will be well.  I have found that even if the legs are all exactly the same length, the oak slab may be slightly warped, so I still need some leather patches under the two short legs.  The hammer is a Striker 40 kg (88 lb).  It's a Chinese copy of the Chambersburg self-contained hammer...it's a work-horse.

Here in the Des Moines area Craigslist there are several custom woodcutters listed (guys with band sawmills or Alaska mills).  Call a few in your area, tell them what you need, and sooner or later you will connect.  

Another beautiful piece!

Leather pads under the feet are good for preventing scratches on a hard floors too. Leather comes in different thicknesses so adjustments are easy while sticking to the theme.

You do such nice work, thanks for the looks.

Frosty The Lucky.