I Forge Iron

Help identifying steel

Trying to figure out what kind of steel these old wrenches are made out of. They're pretty old and the reason they were decommissioned and put in the "throw away" box is becuase the tips have been chipped on most of them. We have tons of them on the farm and am wondering what they're made from / can they be hardened /  what they would be good for.. Most seem to be from "the billings and spencer co"

lIrDSeb.jpg

These sorts of tools are usually made of middle C content Chrome-Vanadium or sometimes Chrome-Molybden alloys. They are good for low level knives - where the value lies in the shape and not in the high quality of the edge. If they are not too big, try some bottle openers (there is a whole topic full of ideas).

Last but not least there is the scrap art line, search for the works of Ausfire, Daswulf, ScrapartOZ here in the IFI or for scrap art at Google.

Although as much I can see from the pictures they are not in bad shape, so I'd collect a whole set from all the sizes - but you wrote you have tons of these, so maybe that's needless to do :) 

Bests:

Gergely

I can't say if it would make a decent knife as I havnt tried,  but you could test one and see if it hardens.  If you go the bottle opener route here is one style I have made that people seem to like. If possible forge the less commonly used size and forge the oddball size. That way it could still be used for wrenching :) 

Most of my wrenches like that now are reserved to scrap metal sculpture tho. 

image.jpg

Those old wrenches are tough and harden pretty good, at least the ones I have tried. I have made some miniature battle axes out of them that people love. Unfortunately the only pic. I have wont upload. They would chop through a 1x4 and still shave curls off the edge of the board. When I make some more I will try posting pics again.

I was thinking about just making some kindling chopper style knives. stuff that needs to be durable enough to be beat with a mallet but doesnt need to hold  a razor edge. More just for shaping practice is what i'm thinking. I also thought about incorporating the bigger ones into a new gate latch handle. The bottle opener is also a great idea, would make good gifts too =D

Billings and Spencer was still forging simple carbon steel wrenches long after other makers had switched to more sophisticated alloys for their tools. If you get a closeup of the markings I might be able to roughly estimate the date and give a better idea of the alloy, though the end profiles certainly look like the older style which was produced into the 1920s.

At one time B&S was a premium brand for adjustable and fixed end wrenches. They fell behind the times though and later attempt to modernize never gained much traction until the company was absorbed by Crescent Niagara and later killed by the Cooper Tool Group. The ones you have would probably make good candidates for repurposing.

I have a small but growing collection of the old style Billings wrenches. They can be had very cheaply and I love the look of them. Especially the obstruction wrenches.

2 hours ago, jumbojak said:

Billings and Spencer was still forging simple carbon steel wrenches long after other makers had switched to more sophisticated alloys for their tools. If you get a closeup of the markings I might be able to roughly estimate the date and give a better idea of the alloy, though the end profiles certainly look like the older style which was produced into the 1920s.

At one time B&S was a premium brand for adjustable and fixed end wrenches. They fell behind the times though and later attempt to modernize never gained much traction until the company was absorbed by Crescent Niagara and later killed by the Cooper Tool Group. The ones you have would probably make good candidates for repurposing.

I have a small but growing collection of the old style Billings wrenches. They can be had very cheaply and I love the look of them. Especially the obstruction wrenches.

Awesome great info! we have buckets full of them so lots of repurposing =]

I just recently made a karambit out of a box end none plated wrench. I was surprised how easily the metal moved. If you do forge them use a soft hand. For hardening I heated to nonmagnetic and quenched in vegetable oil. It seemed to do the trick. If you look at my thread some of the guys had some really info on wrenches and vanadium.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/51118-wrench-karambit/

13 hours ago, BlasterJoe said:

I just recently made a karambit out of a box end none plated wrench. I was surprised how easily the metal moved. If you do forge them use a soft hand. For hardening I heated to nonmagnetic and quenched in vegetable oil. It seemed to do the trick. If you look at my thread some of the guys had some really info on wrenches and vanadium.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/51118-wrench-karambit/

So i'm making a couple knives out of it, seemed to harden pretty well. I stll havent put a full edge on it yet as i'm making the handle but here's some pics. MEcE4Ye.jpg

that was before a rough grind.. 

Here is the bottom one after i did the rough grind and quench. Rough fitting on the handle and guard.. Obviously that still needs shaped and worked. 

x0uLthj.jpg

12 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Can you define "pretty well"?  How does it do with the brass rod test?  We've had people here telling us that their mild steel knives harden pretty well....(RR Spikes)

Did a file test (havent heard of a brass rod test?).. The file skates across it easily. I also pounded it into a big stump i have out front quite a few times and it left no indentations or marks from what i could see.. Definitely much harder than the "high carbon" railroad knife i made and quenched, but probably not as hard as the 1095 i have sitting in the corner of my garage :P.. This is going to be used as a outdoor utility knife that needs to be more durable than to hold a razors edge, and i think this will serve the purpose well.

See you had data you didn't share!  If you search on brass rod test knives you will find a large number of hits, including videos and discussions about it back and forth.  Some very good knifemakers use it to give an idea of how the edge is working.

Just now, ThomasPowers said:

See you had data you didn't share!  If you search on brass rod test knives you will find a large number of hits, including videos and discussions about it back and forth.  Some very good knifemakers use it to give an idea of how the edge is working.

I will give that a look when i get a chance =].. I have hoarded a ton of really old files from estate sales from the farms in my area and i plan on doing some knives from those as well. It was really fun making these two. =D

I used to snatch up all the old black diamond files (pre Nicholson stamp) at the fleamarket and now I find I have a drawerful that I moved 1500 miles and will probably not run out of them before I run out of me.

The old ones were 1.2% carbon and so I use them to juice up billets and for edges in San Mai....

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I used to snatch up all the old black diamond files (pre Nicholson stamp) at the fleamarket and now I find I have a drawerful that I moved 1500 miles and will probably not run out of them before I run out of me.

The old ones were 1.2% carbon and so I use them to juice up billets and for edges in San Mai....

Yeah i'm not sure the maker on some of the ones i've picked up (just havent looked through the bucket yet)

But i actually got some great old Nicholson files in pristine condition still in box from what looks like ~1960/70s from what i can tell. Could be older. This is my good set though and they're not going to get re-purposed.

Most wrenches if not all are made from MEDIUM CARBON STEEL as they are supposed to be tough and not brittle!

Finally found one that actually listed an alloy: "All tools are forged using tough 4140 alloy steel." As 40 points carbon is below the eutectoid it's not high carbon!

it seemed to have hardened really well in my quench oil. But i'm sure its nothing cmpared to my 1095 steel as far as edge retention.. This is mostly a bush chopper i'm making now so it needs to be durable and not brittle.. I'll stick to those kinds of knives for this stock

Das, I had never seen that Design of bottle opener, It seems very simple, but elegant, Just went into the "blacksmithing inspiration" folder, hope you don't mind, thanks.

Littleblacksmith

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Das, I had never seen that Design of bottle opener, It seems very simple, but elegant, Just went into the "blacksmithing inspiration" folder, hope you don't mind, thanks.

Littleblacksmith

Have at it. :)