I Forge Iron

Newb from NY

ncfh

Hello all,

I'm new to blacksmithing, but not new to metal work.

I've been a welder for fifteen years, done some globe trotting. I'll be sitting for my CWI in a few months, and I am two years into an engineering degree, though I'm not quite settled on which flavor. lol. Civil is fun and gets to play outside, but electrical/computer is another passion. I'm torn. Anyway...

Setting up a little shop here south of Albany.

Fortunately I'm smack in the blacksmithing nexus of New York, New England, and Eastern Canada, with plenty of groups and folks to learn from.

I've done some research on forges and decided it's just better to buy something sorted, and get right to work.

I have settled on a Diamondback forge, but was curious if any of you had last minute opinions on the blacksmith models versus the metalsmith models. I'm leaning toward the metalsmith for the ultimate versatility, but was curious how it holds up structurally over time, and if it looses heat significantly faster than the tighter blacksmith.

Other than that, I'm on the lookout for an economical anvil in the 200lbs range. Not to picky about pattern, just a single horn of some kind. I'm beginning to notice that everyone with an old anvil thinks it's antique gold, and all the new stuff is obviously low volume thus big money.

Welcome to IFI. You will find this site to be a great help as you start out in blacksmithing.

I'm not an expert and cannot offer you advice on your choice of forge, but there are many learned people here who surely can.

Good luck with your search for an anvil. You have a much better chance than we do here in Australia. If you haven't already done so, read up on the TPAAT to increase your chances of acquiring an anvil.

Recommend you go to the NEB meet at Ashokan.  Great place to meet other smiths and they have a decent tailgate section.  Last year someone brought in an, admittedly rough, 115# anvil and let it go for $125, if I remember correctly.  Would have been a good starter for sure.  Otherwise there are plenty of make do alternatives, depending on what you plan on forging.

Welcome aboard! 

Don't get too hung up on having a classic London-pattern or other traditional anvil. A big chunk of steel will serve you well, and there are lots of threads on IFI about improvised and non-standard anvils. Read, and learn!

5 hours ago, Latticino said:

Recommend you go to the NEB meet at Ashokan.  Great place to meet other smiths and they have a decent tailgate section.  Last year someone brought in an, admittedly rough, 115# anvil and let it go for $125, if I remember correctly.  Would have been a good starter for sure.  Otherwise there are plenty of make do alternatives, depending on what you plan on forging.

I see the next meetup is not until October, what is your opinion of the CDBA or NYSDB groups? They seem to have monthly meetings.

To quote Big Trouble in Little China: "Marry them Both!"

I'd suggest going to any meetings you can manage and decide which group suites your needs and tastes and then specialize...

The MOB, Mid Ohio Blacksmiths, started out as a group of people who would carpool the 2 hours to get to SOFA meetings from the Columbus Ohio area.

Oh don't forget to ask folks if they know any good smiths in your local area. I remember one fellow who was very surprised to learn that the President of the local smithing affiliate lived on his road...(He posted about it this year as I recall)  Many smiths are trying to fly under the radar and so they may not be obvious when you pass their place...

Welcome aboard . . . ncfh(?) glad to have you.

Make all the meetings and event you can swing. Networking with folk in your general area will hook you up with the equipment, tools and materials you need. 

Don't go overboard on your first forge, it's cliche common to buy or build too large a forge in the beginning, most of us have a couple too big forges collecting dust in a corner. What you need will depend on what you want to heat in it and how much you can afford to spend on propane.

A 2 burner forge with end and side doors is very versatile and only a little larger than you'll really need but it'll be plenty useful best of all it'll hold it's value so when/if you decide you actually need something else it should be sellable. 

You might want to check out the Iforge propane forge section, there is a LOT of information ad testimony regarding buying building, repairing and using gassers. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and advice!

I was eyeing the two burner metalsmith, and from what I'm reading it seems to be a good starting point with ample room to grow.

As to my handle...

It's rather un-PC, and traditionally explained over a pint, as that's how it came about. Pretty harmless really.

An old joke/acronym from my days auto racing in Europe, driving German coupes and annoying the Continentals with Meatloaf. (the musician)

7 hours ago, ncfh said:

I see the next meetup is not until October, what is your opinion of the CDBA or NYSDB groups? They seem to have monthly meetings.

Don't know anything about the CDBA, but as a member I can recommend going to the NYSDB meetings if you are able to get there.