I Forge Iron

Anything specific that makes a post-drills better for smithing (more than nostaliga)?

I know for some things like a Post Vice say, there are some specific attributes that make it a good choice for smithing over modern variants.

Are there similar attributes for a Post Drill that better suit them to smithing or were they just the predecessors to modern drill presses?

I have several modern drill presses already however a Post Drill is listed locally, wondering if there is some merit in it other than the nostalgia.

2 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

I have one and I never use it. faster and easier to use a power drill.

Ok, that was my suspicion, thanks for the reply.

I'll probably pick one up at some point so we can have a traditional setup for travel and shows etc.

However in the meantime, I've got one of these which should do the trick :)

Greetings Eli,

I have several post drills . I put one up in my shop years ago so young students could safely drill a hole in the hooks they just forged for the first time. The only problem is that after I show the new young blacksmiths how to set it up and properly use it I turn around and Guess where their fathers are.. yep drilling holes .  I use them all the time for various operations. No need to reset pulleys or chuck speed just crank slower. Have fun.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

1 hour ago, Eli Taylor said:

Ok, that was my suspicion, thanks for the reply.

I'll probably pick one up at some point so we can have a traditional setup for travel and shows etc.

However in the meantime, I've got one of these which should do the trick :)

ooooohhhhh I like that drill!!

Littleblacksmith

That is one sweet drill. The only real advantage to a post drill is the feed mechanism that provides the correct feed rate per RPM. The mistake new folk make using drill presses is turning the spindle too fast and applyig too much down pressure. Yeah, no need to say it some folk do that who have been using them for years.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Tubalcain2 said:

shoot ,Eli,that is a stinkin nice drill.

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

ooooohhhhh I like that drill!!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

That is one sweet drill

Yeah, i was really lucky to have the seller sell me that for $300 and for watching his Chicken/Goose/Goat while away for a week :)

He also gave me a Van Norman #12 Vertical/Horizontal milling machine as my "commission" for helping him sell some equipment!

And if you like that drill, you might like some of the pics from where I volunteer from time to time (a line-shaft machine shop)

20170107_103305.jpg

20170107_103338.jpg

20170107_103852.jpg

what Beech said but about 15 times more!

Littleblacksmith

just curios, what's the earliest piece in there?

Greetings Eli,

That's a slick set up. I would love to volunteer in a shop like that.  I have a line shaft shop that I have been working on for years but nothing like that.  A few pictures and notice the post drills ... Your a lucky man... 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

line 4.jpg

line 3.jpg

wood shop 3.jpg

line 1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...