I Forge Iron

Need some help/advice

I'm in need of an air sorce for my coke forge. Right now this is the best picture I have. The fire pot is about 8 inches deep and 10x12 at the top and about 6x8 at the bottom I'm going to be modifying it as I'm having some issue with melting fire brick. The pipes are 3 inch black plumbing pipe. This was constructed on a budget and all metal is from the scrap yard of my local steel shop. Right now I'm using an small old shop vac but that seems to be too powerful as it's burning steel before the whole piece is hot. I'm just starting out and I'm interested in all aspects of black smithing/ knife making. I have watching countless hours of YouTube videos but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for nor the user feed back/ advice that I need.  Thanks for your time 

IMG_20170322_133457987.jpg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Iforge folk live within visiting distance. Just telling us in one post isn't going to stick in anybody's memory once we open a different post.

A shop vac is WAY too much air, try a hand held blow drier instead. Even that will be too much air but it'll be a lot better. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry it's not a Youtube video; but I have posted numerous times (twice, now thrice, this week IIRC) that a good blower can be sourced by going to a HVAC company and seeing if they have a bone pile of removed furnace equipment as the exhaust assist fan for super efficient house furnaces makes a nice blower, can often be sourced FREE, and is generally *not* the item that causes a furnace to be replaced.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sorry it's not a Youtube video; but I have posted numerous times (twice, now thrice, this week IIRC) that a good blower can be sourced by going to a HVAC company and seeing if they have a bone pile of removed furnace equipment as the exhaust assist fan for super efficient house furnaces makes a nice blower, can often be sourced FREE, and is generally *not* the item that causes a furnace to be replaced.

ThomasPowers, do you think I'd be able to run such a blower off the variac I salvaged yesterday?