I Forge Iron

Factory made Anvil Stand

I picked up this Factory made Anvil stand a couple days ago and I should have it in my possession on Monday. Its base is 14" X 15", the top is 11 1/2" X 12 1/2", its 14 3/4" tall and 3/4" thick with reinforced corners.. it last had a 250 lb. Fisher on it and is almost a perfect fit for my 290 lb. Peter Wright... JT

s-l1600[1] (4).jpg

s-l1600[1].jpg

s-l1600[4].jpg

s-l1600[1] (2).jpg

s-l1600[3].jpg

s-l1600[2].jpg

s-l1600[1] (3).jpg

great find, I personally like the three leged stands made so that the face of the anvil is at wrist height but if I got one like that I would adjust the height and use it. If you will use silicone calk between the anvil and the top you should be in good shape.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

15 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

great find, I personally like the three leged stands made so that the face of the anvil is at wrist height but if I got one like that I would adjust the height and use it. If you will use silicone calk between the anvil and the top you should be in good shape.

Wayne

I may have to adjust the height a bit, but it should be close.. I have some thick steel at my disposal that I could ad some height if necessary.. I'm also making a massive one for a 400 +lb. Anvil that will be made of 3" X 3" 3/8" angle iron frame with 1/2" plate steel sides and a 2" thick 100 lb. top slab of steel that will be adjustable for height with a sand pad. I have part of it made already, will be posting photos of it when done..

12 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Nice! Definitely appears to be made by Fisher. You're behind on new anvil updates!:P

Hello C-1ToolSteel !! still weighting on my last acquisition.. its in the states now, maybe I will have it by the end of next week or beginning of April .. haven't looked to much lately.. pretty much have my fill.. still watching that Fisher double screw Vise.. may own it tomorrow evening.. JT 

For raising it you might consider padding up the legs.

For the one you are going to build I strongly suggest that you build a 3 legged stand with a thick plate for the top.  Use silicon calk to stick your anvil to the stand.  It will help deaden the ring and make the anvil and stand one piece, giving the effect of a heavier anvil.  With the 3 legged stand it is always stable and you can stand up closer to the anvil.

Wayne

Hello Wayne ! thank you for your input it is well taken.. I see many are going to the 3 legged stands.. I hear positive things about them.. but I have been a bit skeptical of them only because everything I have had that was of that design wasn't to stable and seemed to tip over quite easily..  from 3 legged forge blowers to 3 wheel motorcycles !! lol do you find your anvil wanting to tip over ?? JT

I use a 3 legged anvil stand when I'm teaching college students; never had a tip over so far, 10+ years and counting.

It would of course depend on how the stand was constructed.  I could design one that couldn't stand upright or another one that would take a bulldozer to tip over...

Tripods are more stable than flat or quad stands provided you don't push them too hard sideways. Anything can be tipped over if it isn't anchored to the ground. A tripod doesn't need a flat level floor to prevent it rocking.

I make the tops of my tripod stands from angle iron, flange up to form a rim, then I wedge the anvil in place with the hammer and tong racks. My anvils are surprisingly quiet on their steel stands without any extra attempt at damping the ring and  I have a pair of LOUD anvils. A 206lb. Trenton and a 125lb. Soderfors, either one mounted on a wooden block will make your ears ring through plugs and muffs with a misplaced blow.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, no I have never had my anvil tip over but then, it does weigh 500#.  I also have a 100# anvil on a 3 legged stand and have never tipped it either, matter of fact I have never even heard of anyone tipping an anvil over. I even forge or the side of the anvil if the task lends its self to it.

I angle the legs out about 17 degrees.

Okay ! thank you all for enlightening me about the 3 leg stands ! I guess my hesitation was unwarranted .. all your experiences have proven that... I will look into changing my coarse.. JT