I Forge Iron

Century Welder

Crytin

I was recently given a Century Welder, this is an older model 110V Flux Core welder. It only has a High, Low, or off setting for Amperage and a High/Low setting for wire feed. I'm at work so can't take pictures right now but I will load some in the morning. My question is, is this a welder worth holding onto for now?

If it's working properly, yes there are times when they are handy.  They are finicky and don't make the best welds but once in a while things seem to fall into place and they do pretty good.

Does this one have the gas valve or is it only designed for flux core?  I had similar in another brand (with a cheapo gas valve built in) before I upgraded to better and found that gas was far better for my purposes.  

Wish I had kept it because there are times when I need a "utility" welder for small fixits outside the shop.  They don't make great welds but sometimes you don't need great welds on "fixits"--just stuff that holds together.

First, if it gets the job done, it's worth every penny.  You can use it for spot welding things together.  Run lots of practice strips to see how it works and how it penetrates.  As a 110 machine it won't penetrate very deep, but it can be use for art or decorative work.  You might find that you use it all the time. Good luck.  

I've got a Mastercraft one that I can run on gas as well and with only 110 v  with the gas and pre heating was able to weld up 1/4" tube as a guard rail  and 5 years later and a couple hits from a forklift still holding   I haven't tried with the Flux core but can't see why it wouldn't work almost as well 

I have similar one that as mentioned above I used for tacking and spot welding but now i keep it in the back of my truck with a smalk generator for fixing things that a cord wont reach, such as the gate on my lane, small fence work and my mailbox post that people seem to like to destroy.   If you have a clean joint and fresh wire they work ok.  If it gets totally worn out tear it apart, lots of metal art material in there if you like that type of thing.  

Scott

The Mastercraft brand/trade name is owned by the Canadian Tire Corporation. They are a chain of 'hardware" stores. They started out as a mechanical parts, tools and hardware operation and now they sell all of manner domestic appliances too and also etc., etc., etc..

They have stores all across Canada.

I have spent a lot of money there over the years.

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
Improving atrocious penmanship: sorry