I Forge Iron

New Forge

ronwend523

I decided that I was not content with the forge I built and the durability of it was questionable. I started getting materials to do a better long lasting job of it. Before I venture into making the tuyere I should get a suggestion as to the size I should go with, using a hand crank blower. I'm thinking 1 1/2" for the sake that less effort is needed to get good pressure. I will be using charcoal only for fuel.  This will be a tinkering around forge and not production of any kind.

You don't want much pressure burning charcoal, a gentle blast is more than enough. A paper shopping bag blowing through a piece of garden hose allowed me to weld in a camp fire. The final tuyere after the hose was 3 sticks stacked, covered with damp mud, the air blew through the gap between the sticks. A garden hose doesn't do well if stuck in a fire but mud covered sticks lasts a surprising length of time.

I wouldn't worry about making too nice or long lasting forge till you've spent some time and know what you want around for a long time. I have a couple forges that've lasted years longer than I needed them to. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I like 2" black pipe for the bottom blast tuyere. Then again, that's what was suggested to me from the get go, and what I have used and all I've ever needed. I first used charcoal in my forge until I found a source for coal.

Here's a couple pics of my start on the new forge.

0318171154.thumb.jpg.f436b8ef69a5fe05188ecf996e9b3c5c.jpg0318171612a.thumb.jpg.601b72bb694516da5ec76e5d97619b44.jpg I was in to Home Depot and got the makings for the tuyere and blower attachment. I'm lamenting on the stand that shows bellow the tray in the pic. If I should put heavier legs on this or use the stand.  It's not heavy duty but rolls around nice. I guess I can see and change later. The tray is 24"x30" with 3" sides. I think I will make a hood over the firepot end to gather smoke up and away. I'm putting some time into this so it will look good and be functional for quite some time.