I Forge Iron

Question about Post Vice

zak54

IMG_0585.thumb.jpg.63d74ff92cd8b9d1e3c1659a862cf444.jpg

Hi Everyone,

New here with a question about a post vice I've come across. I'm wondering if the post/leg is broken off or if this is simply a different design? The vice is in excellent shape, and so I'm also wondering if it is broken, would I be able to make it serviceable once again? ( Maybe weld a piece in place?)

Thanks for any help and advice.

Zak,

The very large post vises usually do not have a post.  That would be 8 inches and bigger.

No welding is required nor necessary.

It is a beautiful vise. Congratulations.

Get a base for it (e.g. wood stump or other. There are some excellent threads on bases and vises here.

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s. what size is it?

Thanks Slag.....this is an 8"er, and I haven't had any thoughts on how to mount it yet. If you have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I was thinking about a very large heavy wood set up.

Thanks again.

Zak,

Try this. Google search with the term iforgeiron and post vise mount. The search engine on the site is not good.There are many threads here on post vises, and the mounting of them.

(and also the suggested height).

I have used a tree stump down here as they are quite abundant. It works fine for me. But my largest post vise is only six and a half inches.

Regards,

SLAG.

Whether or not it needs to be mounted off the ground depends on what YOU want to do with it and how YOU are sized.  Heavy work is usually done on a lower vise and lighter work on a higher vise.  Industrial Arts books will often detail the correct height for things like filing based on the person.

I would mount it to a low heavily built worktable preferable with a top of 1-4" thick steel and have the base of the vise resting on a 1/4" slab of steel attached to the worktable with welded on blocks to hold the vise base in place but not be welded to the vise. I'd probably go with a semicircular piece for the base and break the edge to cut down on tripping.

Thanks Slag and ThomasPowers....ThomasPowers, could you supply me a quick sketch of the mounting system you suggest? It sounds really solid, but I'm not sure I'm getting the right picture from the text:-)

Thnaks

Basically to attach it to a welding layout table and have a piece of 1/4" that's welded to the legs of the table with blocks welded onto it to keep the base of the vise from shifting during heavy use.  Makes a big difference how you will be using it and what you have available to fasten it too/with. (Putting a chunk of telephone pole about 5' into the dirt and bolting the top of the vise to it and having an angle iron step to hold the base would work in my shop with a dirt floor in the forge area)

Good Morning Zak,

Where  are you making a shadow? I could show you what to do, or, Follow Thomas' advice. If you mount it the way it is, you can easily work above it. What is the height from the floor to the top of the Jaws. Most work Benches are about 32" high. No problem mounting it to a moveable base, It then is not committed to an awkward location. If you make the jaws so you can lay something on your workbench and hold an end in the jaws, would be very helpful.

There is no perfect answer!! Make it so it is versatile to your work space.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 3:04 PM, zak54 said:

BTW, does anyone have photos or diagrams of mounting a post vice like this with no leg? I have looked briefly on the internet but the ones I found all seem to have legs?

Thanks.

You might try this.

https://www.google.com/search?q="iforgeiron"+post+vice+mount&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8