I Forge Iron

Homemade gate valve

JHCC

OK, after watching the video I understand how it works.  Part of my problem is that I didn't see the hole in the lower right where the air goes to the forge.  If you just had a restriction in the air flow from the blower which increased back pressure in the system when the valve was partially shut would that really damage the blower and how?

GNM

I guess roughly speaking, the bypass would set the pressure and the choke would set the volume. A low pressure high volume blower could stall before you could restrict flow enough with only a choke. And if you used only a bypass, there might not be enough pressure available at the tuyere to overcome a tighter-packed fire. 

The better option is probably to use a more suitable blower. But then I make do with what I have too much to criticize someone else. 

His stated concern wasn't for back pressure damaging anything it was for reduced air flow through the motor allowing it to overheat. Some electric blowers use the blower itself to draw air through the motor, some don't and use the fan cooled sealed motors for dusty environments like wheat elevators, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

If the inlet from the blower, the outlet to the forge, and the outlet to the exhaust port are all the same size and if the valve design ensures that (a) when either outlet is completely open, the other is completely closed and (b) when either outlet is completely closed, the other is completely open, then the airflow through the valve will remain at a constant total volume and pressure. 

New use for the valve. I have an unfinished chimney so I struggle with the smoke (until it heats up) and ash. And I've been thinking about putting a fan to blow the smoke out the shop. But since I'm dumping most of the air from the blower, got a temporary solution.

IMG_20231212_145038521.jpg

IMG_20231212_145024266.jpg