Portuguese

Bader BM-2

12 posts in this topic

I just got the aforementioned grinder. Is there anyone making aftermarket parts or adapters that would bring this grinder up to date with is younger brother the BIII?

Any and all help is much appreciated and thank you in advance for your time.

In addition what is the type of frame motor that Bader uses?

Sérgio

"Portugee" blacksmith wannabe 

Black Mutt Forge

Altamonte Springs, Fl

Edited by Portuguese
Add content

Thanks J

I have reached out to them and they've been very forthcoming with information.

I'm just a glutton for information and was looking for aftermarket tooling availability as I couldn't find much information on this specific grinder on the web.

Bader seems to be a remarkably upstanding company but their website is really subpar.

Hopefully someone has information for me.

thank you all 

Sérgio

Most of the folks I know have built their own aftermarket additions to suit their own methods of work.  Not a big market I would guess to support a lot of  such stuff.

Fair enough.

it would be great to see what other people have done with that grinder but like I said, I haven't had much luck with research on the web.

hopefully my investment wasn't a foolhardy one.

thank you 

Edited by Portuguese
Content

Well I've owned one for about 20 years now and never considered it a foolhardy investment.  I got both the 10" contact wheels for doing blade grinds with a very shallow hollow grind and the 1/2" contact wheel for doing fullers.  Both were offered by the manufacturer.

You have the BIII right?

I got the previous model the Bench Model BM-2, it doesn't take square arms, it takes 3/4" round arms, the arms aren't adjustable front to back, they mount on a swivel plate that pivots by using a screw mounted to the front of the frame and that's how tracking of the belt is handled.

Motor is single speed 2hp wired 110. Since I have 208 in my shop I'm considering rewiring or if I find the type of mount switch to a vfd configuration even though I'm electricity challenged  

image.jpeg

I bought mine around 1991; don't recall what the called it back then I thought it was a BM2; it's in my shop 200 miles away so I can't check.  I though the BMIII was a more recent model.

I don't know the years. The main difference I see are the tracking mechanics and the square tool arm vs round tool arm.

why rewire to 208? you will be fine at 110 as long as it isn't sharing the circuit

51 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

why rewre to 208? you will be fine at 110 as long as it isn't sharing the circuit

I just assumed that the higher voltage would be friendlier on the motor but like I said I'm elictrically challenged. So there's no advantage to switching voltage?

Thank you 

I have a b2 and know a couple of smiths withe them. Theuy have advantages and didagvantaged over the newer model. the round mounting means you can get a littel inventive with the tracking but lacks thye indexing that a swuare arm does.

They are great tools and with the od bearing change will last indefinatly.

I have boufght a few things from Bader over the years and their service is second to none. even when dealing with them from the UK.