I Forge Iron

Bader BM-2

Portuguese

I just got the aforementioned grinder. Is there anyone making aftermarket parts or adapters that would bring this grinder up to date with is younger brother the BIII?

Any and all help is much appreciated and thank you in advance for your time.

In addition what is the type of frame motor that Bader uses?

Sérgio

"Portugee" blacksmith wannabe 

Black Mutt Forge

Altamonte Springs, Fl

Edited by Portuguese
Add content

Thanks J

I have reached out to them and they've been very forthcoming with information.

I'm just a glutton for information and was looking for aftermarket tooling availability as I couldn't find much information on this specific grinder on the web.

Bader seems to be a remarkably upstanding company but their website is really subpar.

Hopefully someone has information for me.

thank you all 

Sérgio

Fair enough.

it would be great to see what other people have done with that grinder but like I said, I haven't had much luck with research on the web.

hopefully my investment wasn't a foolhardy one.

thank you 

Edited by Portuguese
Content

You have the BIII right?

I got the previous model the Bench Model BM-2, it doesn't take square arms, it takes 3/4" round arms, the arms aren't adjustable front to back, they mount on a swivel plate that pivots by using a screw mounted to the front of the frame and that's how tracking of the belt is handled.

Motor is single speed 2hp wired 110. Since I have 208 in my shop I'm considering rewiring or if I find the type of mount switch to a vfd configuration even though I'm electricity challenged  

image.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

why rewre to 208? you will be fine at 110 as long as it isn't sharing the circuit

I just assumed that the higher voltage would be friendlier on the motor but like I said I'm elictrically challenged. So there's no advantage to switching voltage?

Thank you 

I have a b2 and know a couple of smiths withe them. Theuy have advantages and didagvantaged over the newer model. the round mounting means you can get a littel inventive with the tracking but lacks thye indexing that a swuare arm does.

They are great tools and with the od bearing change will last indefinatly.

I have boufght a few things from Bader over the years and their service is second to none. even when dealing with them from the UK.

• 5 months later...

I bought one from an old knife maker who was working in the 70's and 80's. It's great except I really dislike the round end on the tool arms. It means every time I need to change a tool I have to grab the arm with a wrench and tweak it while it's running.

Bader sells an "adapter arm" that allows for BIII tools to be used on the B2. It works great. 

What is the "od bearing change" you are referring to? I'm curious.

Same experience here with customer service. They answer any question I ask and I receive shipments from the within 1 or 2 business days. And the still sell parts for the B2 even though they no longer manufacture the machine! That's the best part of all! 

haha, true, true. I'll give it a try. It's just so sensitive, and the problem is that the when I tighten down the hex screw it shifts the arm slightly, so where I align the arm before tightening the screw, and after, are different. 

On 27/07/2017 at 8:50 PM, edennis said:

I bought one from an old knife maker who was working in the 70's and 80's. It's great except I really dislike the round end on the tool arms. It means every time I need to change a tool I have to grab the arm with a wrench and tweak it while it's running.

Bader sells an "adapter arm" that allows for BIII tools to be used on the B2. It works great. 

What is the "od bearing change" you are referring to? I'm curious.

Same experience here with customer service. They answer any question I ask and I receive shipments from the within 1 or 2 business days. And the still sell parts for the B2 even though they no longer manufacture the machine! That's the best part of all! 

pretty much the only maintenance I have had to do on any of my grinders is change bearings on contact wheels , motors. the only other thing I can think of is reflattening or replacing plattens. bearings often last a decade or so of hard work somtimes longer.

• 4 months later...

A little late to the party, but....... I've drilled out the tool bar holder (what Bader calls the "Heel") to accept a 3/16" pin that aligns the tool bar after each change of attachments. Before drilling the round end of the tool bar, first remove and drill the holder/heel; re-install the holder/heel; then insert the tool bar, get it squared up and running smoothly; then remove the contact wheel, or platen , but leave the too bar in place; remove the two bolts holding the tool bar holder/heel in place and bring it to a drill press (with the tool bar still in place) and drill out the tool bar. Repeat for each tool bar.

One other change made a big difference in tracking. Bader sells an upsized spring (if you have one of the earlier, whimpier versions).

I agree with others, in spite of the less than optimal tracking system and tool bar set up, it's a very solid, well built machine. Bader uses machined axles, as opposed to off the shelf bolts, and very high quality bearings. 

Saludos

J

JDWARE KNIVES

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG