I Forge Iron

plowshare tongs

Frank Turley

Thanks Frank, I have made a set of double bit tongs for shares. But the reigns are parallel and both bits hold the back of the share. They are heavy and hard to hang onto while working. I should make another pair like these and see if I can hang on better. I saw a set about like yours at a tractor show years ago. (Tipton In. I think) Like a fool I took no pictures and could not redesign them in my head.    Life is Good        Dave

I'm curious about the intended use for those Frank.  I see how they grab a complete plowshare which leads me to think they're for servicing an existing plowshare as opposed to holding the two steel elements for welding a new one.

I have an old blacksmithing book that covers "re-steeling" things like plowshares and axes.  The general idea was to weld some additional steel onto the cutting end of a worn out tool.

Actually making a plowshare, especially if made from welded sections looks like a two-person job to me.

Now that I think about it, is sure seems like plows could get pretty large.  I wonder if they ever used overhead chains to take the weight of the parts while getting the work between the forge and the anvil.

Either way, those tongs are something special.  I'd love to get a feel for how they grab.  It reminds me of an MC Escher drawing!

Rockstar, You can get a good look at share sharpening on youtube, "Sharpening plowshares with Dick Carlson". He is using either a single flat jawed tong or two of them. He's working by himself but with trip hammer to draw out the cutting edge. When forge welding, it is the point only that gets the weld. I have also talked a little about this subject, if you go to the top of ifi and "Search" plowshare sharpening, you might find it. You are looking at the share only. The moldboard is the large curved piece that gets attached to it and turns the earth over.

If you look at the pic I posted above, The small piece at the bottom is a replacement point. After you trim the existing worn point off. This replacement is forge welded on the share to form a new point. Thanks for Dicks proper name Frank. I mistakenly called him "Ben" Carlson in the other thread...He was a wealth of knowledge and very accommodating to my questions...             Dave  

• 4 months later...

Well I finally found a "roundtuit"....and got these fabbed  up. I am kinda stoked and think they will work pretty good. What got me back on it was, a gentleman that ask if anyone could sharpen a plow share at  a demo meeting we RSMA members were doing, at the Johnson Co. In. tractor show. He was referred to me for some reason......I told him I had worked on a few and was still learning. But I would be at the Rushville, In. show in August working some with the Ideal Plow Sharpener in the shop there. He told me he would be at that show and look me up...So the pressure is back on....

I just want to say thanks again to Frank Turley for posting those pics........     Life is Good             Dave

P6210002.JPG

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

For variations on that there: "Practical Blacksmithing", Richardson, has several varieties of plowshare tongs shown in it as I recall.

Thanks Thomas....good to see you are back. I may have to ILL that book.          Life is Good              Dave