I Forge Iron

Am I the only one that sees a swage block?

Millhand

You can build  one swage at a time for a specific purpose.

Cut a bunch of hardie plates, some hardie posts, and put them off to the side. When the need arises, weld the post to the plate, and build the top part as the swage.

Build a hardie adaptor if you have 2 anvils with different size hardie holes.

6 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

yeah, you're crazy.:D

Oh no! You could have said don't do it or well anything but that!  Now I have to cobble something that resembles a swege block out of that. Lol

1 minute ago, Glenn said:

You can build  one swage at a time for a specific purpose.

Cut a bunch of hardie plates, some hardie posts, and put them off to the side. When the need arises, weld the post to the plate, and build the top part as the swage.

Build a hardie adaptor if you have 2 anvils with different size hardie holes.

Rite on thanks Glen! 

Not a block, but individual swages.

For instance, take that square tubing at 9 o'clock, and cut it on the diamond to make a piece of heavy angle iron. Weld it to a hardie place to make a V swage. You will need to reinforce the sides and make the area under the V solid or at least so it will not deform.

The pipe in the photo can be cut in half and welded to a hardie plate to make a half round concave swage. Again fill in under the pipe to make it stout.

Cut a piece of pipe in half and weld it to a post or bar, round side up. Then weld the bar to the hardie plate to make a long (not round) mushroom type swage. Reinforced the pipe to the bar so it does not deform.

A collaring swage comes in real handy if your making a lot of collars.

Multiple those ideas by the different sizes and you will have invested a couple hours and have half a swage block already. 

Do not forget to weld a hardie post to one of the pieces of flat bar and then weld braces to the flat bar to fit against the sides of the anvil. Great for when you need a square edge on the anvil or a cutting plate or punching plate to protect the anvil face.

Well there  goes your Saturday. (grin)

Greetings Millhand, 

You reminded me of the young boys down the road picking up all the construction drops and straightening the nails . Yep the next day they are up in the tree fort.. I for one loves to repurpose but sometimes ya gotta just draw a line . Why build something that kinda works when you can purchase one for reasonable money. Save your drops for selective tools like Glen suggested. Just this ol boys 2c

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Woops Same time post Glen

Thank you Glen that is in line with what I was planning and you added a lot to my list lol! Now it's Saturday and Sunday! 

Was a lite hearted post to begin with Jim.  I'm not really going to make that mess into a industrial block or anything.  I've grown too fond of it.  Been protecting and growing it for years!

Sort of project to give the grandson "welding time"...  I own a swage block but tend to look for an individual swage for the anvil for any shape I use more than once or twice a year.  (Even if I have to make them---but I have found it's easy to convert cheap mushroomed top swages to fit the hardies of my big anvils---1.5" sq hardy holes)