I Forge Iron

Fair price?

Looking at buying this swage. He's asking 500$ and it weighs 150# looks to be in good shape. What do you guys think? I've already bought a couple anvils and have that part figured out. This would be my first swage. 

Thanks,

SC

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

Look up the threads on swage blocks.

It all gets down to if you actually will use it, or will it end up a door stop or boot scraper like they do for most smiths. 

My friend had a guy who was going to give him one, but he didn't make it over to get it. He doesn't have much use for one, so he wasn't worried about it. 

Now if you absolutely need one for the products you are making, and will be using it every day that could be a cheap price.

They are still new ones being made by Saltfork

17 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Look up the threads on swage blocks.

It all gets down to if you actually will use it, or will it end up a door stop or boot scraper like they do for most 

Valid point for sure. Buuuut, at a fair price I'm sure I could resell in the future if indeed it does become a door stop. 

I figured about 3# a pound wasn't to far off from being a good price. 

I don't think it's a GREAT price so I'll probably pass. Maybe I'll find something better at the BAM conference in may. Being patient definitely pays off. I learned that after I bought my first anvil. Then my second at a much much better price :)

5 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Frogman,

Seen one at SOFA ... Free or best offer., LOL. 

Clever! Would've liked to been around for the bidding war. 

20 minutes ago, Black Frog said:

Some people use them more than others, but if you need one there's few alternatives.  I've never regretted buying a swage at a price I was happy with. 

I'm really wanting to start making my own hammers so i forsee it being useful. Then again a power hammer or forging press are pretty high on the list too :/

EXPLANATION 

The Frogman brought  a few anvils and things to SOFA for sale and left them on his tailgate with his newly aquired beautiful swage block.  Being the good friends as we are we added a sign to his swedge block ( FREE OR BEST OFFER ) to stimulate business.. What are friends for?   After CPR he was just fine. 

1 hour ago, Jim Coke said:

EXPLANATION 

The Frogman brought  a few anvils and things to SOFA for sale and left them on his tailgate with his newly aquired beautiful swage block.  Being the good friends as we are we added a sign to his swedge block ( FREE OR BEST OFFER ) to stimulate business.. What are friends for?   After CPR he was just fine. 

I bet it definitely got people talking!