I Forge Iron

Welding arc/camera

A trail camera?  I couldn't for certain answer but I have never known of anyone using any special filters when taking pictures or video of welding arcs. And I never have seen damage to the device from such as long as it's not getting the heat or hit with sparks or slag. 

I'm assuming the trail camera is one used to scope out green fields and hunting spots, et cetera ; usually they are object sensitive to take photos on movement/light changes. Not the best choice for your situation, but if it's all you have it will definitely work. Set it to burst shots or video mode & turn the IR sensitivity way down. Place the camera high up where the pictures can capture the most view of what's going on down below . You can crop them later,  but you can't add what it didn't capture. 

Most other point & shoot/DSLR cameras have a threaded hole in them for affixing to a tripod. If you can get one of those to use (or even a smartphone) that'd be the ticket. You can set them to timer mode for some shots,  or just video yourself and crop images out later. 

From an optical standpoint,  an IR lense filter would be a good idea anyway,  but you will not harm your trail camera by the light  (it will only confuse it).  Good luck man... I guess the pictures prove we were here!

Brad 

CIK- I hope the info helps. Just knock out a few pictures & post them here to see how they are. It seems like the forum allows pictures to be posted.  One point I would like to add stems from the "a picture's worth a thousand words" mantra/saying... A video is worth a thousand pictures. If you use apple products, you could look into FaceTime to video-talk to your kids' kids. I'm sure there are plenty of applications out there.

JHCC's lighting tip is an excellent one; I'll add "Clean up your shop." The first time I tried to show off some projects, all I heard back was a commentary on items in the background. :D Just something to be aware of...

Brad

CIK, your OP mentioned arc welding, not forge welding.  If you cruise over to weldingweb.com there may be some folks over there who have done photography (still and movie) of arc welding and can help you out.  Often, they place a welding lens over the camera to show the arc and thereby not be washed out.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:25 PM, Adun Clebr said:

I'll add "Clean up your shop." The first time I tried to show off some projects, all I heard back was a commentary on items in the background. :D Just something to be aware of...

This is why all my "newly-forged-item-on-top-of-the-anvil" photos have the garage floor in the background rather than my rather cluttered forge setup!