I Forge Iron

Copper Tulip

Dustin Quade

So as I have mentioned before I made my gf a copper rose for Christmas a year ago and she immediately decided that this needed to be a new tradition, every Christmas a new type of copper flower. This year I made a tulip, it is a marked improvement over the rose I made the year before, I did some texturing on this one and I used the spoon swage on my swage block to dome out the petals with a ballpein hammer. If anyone has any other metal flower patterns they can share it would be greatly appreciated. I have also attached to pattern I used to make this one. I did not make the pattern but I found it free online so I figure no harm sharing it.

20170103_231644.jpg

FMUT1PHFV40BB2W.MEDIUM.jpg

3 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Nice work Dustin. Sounds like a great tradition to start. 

Thanks man, it sounded good to me on paper last year but trying to find flowers that i can reproduce in metal with my limited skills/tools was not as easy as i thought it would be. Alot of the patterns are designed for use with paper and dont really transfer to metal. Im already hunting for more options and just trying to make a folder of them so i can be ready and get some of them done early.

Very cool!

29 minutes ago, Dustin Quade said:

Im already hunting for more options and just trying to make a folder of them so i can be ready and get some of them done early.

Have you tried Russian roses? It's a simple but effective one-piece forging technique well worth trying. If you Google "Russian Rose blacksmith", one of the first results should take you to a step-by-step demo on anvilfire. 

Here's my second attempt, made from a RR spike:

IMG_2010.JPG

Dustin,

Good job on giving your wife flowers.  Nice copper work.  I read here someplace about buying and taking apart plastic flowers from a craft store and seeing the shapes of the parts and trying to mimic those in steel or copper.  Good luck on continuing your flower tradition!

Tom

9 hours ago, tkunkel said:

Dustin,

Good job on giving your wife flowers.  Nice copper work.  I read here someplace about buying and taking apart plastic flowers from a craft store and seeing the shapes of the parts and trying to mimic those in steel or copper.  Good luck on continuing your flower tradition!

Tom

I had honestly never considdered that, what a great idea! Thanks for the tip and the compliments, il be sure to post more flowers in the future. Il be trying to hit the craft store this weekend and get a jump on things.

On 2017-01-07 at 4:24 PM, JHCC said:

Here's another option for an all-forged rose:

https://youtu.be/q3N7Pn6o5gk

Wow man that method is crazy.Super cool but i think it will be quite a few years before i try something like that for myself. I love seeing all the different ways people come up with to make the same thing.