I Forge Iron

What kind of tongs are these?

sstreckfuss

Ive just thought that the extra joint on the jaws opposite a sharp tooth was for something special...they dont seem to hold any stock I have very firmly at all mostly due to the tooth on top.

Heres a better picture

tried picking up something like a chain?

that joint wouldnt seem to hold anything if it was flipped out, but if it had a loop of metal in it was flipped back and the tooth holding the joint in place....

I don't have any big chain, it might hold it well, it won't clamp onto anything very small.

Your chain idea got me thinking that it might hold a horseshoe pretty tight if the shoe was deeper than the tooth and the tooth would keep it from slipping out. I'll have to get ahold of a horseshoe and give it a try. :cool:

Heres a pic of it holding some sheet metal I had lying about, it actually holds it fairly tight though It doesn't feel "right".

2255371444_95100d72fd.jpg

Yeah czar the tooth is a bit mangled, they were nearly rusted shut when I got them, I bead blasted them yesterday and thats when I noted their odd design. The damage may just be from rusting away, at least partly.

I bought these in a 5 gallon bucket of tongs at an auction put them in the corner and just got to cleaning them up and going through them.

I have another pair of tongs from the same bucket that I am pretty sure is wrought iron that I was going to post pics of for confirmation but hadn't got around to it.

From that animantion I'd say that it's meant as a self-compensating jaw for gripping varying size stock between the 2 faces. The 'teeth' on either side of the swinging plate being there simply to keep the plate in line.

Just a guess of course. It's certainly an interesting tool whatever it is.

ool! Those are very similar, I almost guarantee they are from the same manufacturer. Mine are unique to those also in the fact that the swivel jaw arm of the tong passes through the toothed arm, it also has an arc and valley to the toothed portion that yours lack. I am intrigued....

Have you found a use for yours?

5271.attach

hah, I know what Stearn's tongs are for I think,
and it might explain yours sstreckfuss

I have a set of parallel pliers, used in sheetmetal working ,the jaws are hinged to always remain parallel, but its accomplished differently from the jointed element

if that is the case then the hook nose has been altered or designed to go into a hole

SStreckfuss,
These tongs belonged to my grandpa. He died in the 1940's.
I think they are for different thickness flats and rounds but they don't work very well. They seem to put the most force in one place and let the material pivot side to side.
I also have another pair which have the box joint and reins like these but they have a set of "ears" welded on in place of the swivel to stablize the material.

Bill D.

If not for the tooth on the top of yours, i'd say those were taper tongs. Taper tongs are tongs that are meant to hold onto the end of a tapered bar, such that they're wider at the front than the back, and auto adjust to the taper angle as they're shut to grip tightly.

The tongs look just like taper tongs, and i would almost guarantee lazyassforge's are definitely taper tongs. Yours are probably just modified ones for some particular project.

I have seen similar tongs in my younger years when attending meetings in surrounding area old smith shops. Hint - there are 3 to 4 holes near the top edge of a plow shear and the end one is closer to the edge and when drawing the shear the end tong has a tendency to slip off the end from the vibration.

I would say IRNSRGN is on to something there, I have worked plow shears and they can be tricky to hold in a power hammer, when that one tong slips off and your brains not quick to tell your foot to get off the peddle, you will do a dance. I think they maybe good for Cultivator shuvels to.
Jeff