I Forge Iron

Plant hanger

Donniev

It's kind of cold out, but its not bad yet, so I finally fired up the forge again tonight and made a plant hanger and a few bottle openers. A friend wanted me to make him a basket hook and plant hanger, finally got around to the mounted hanger today. Made from 1/4" x 1", the support is 3/8" sq with a reverse twist, with 1/8" rivets holding it in place. The basket twist hook is 4 sticks of 12" long 1/4" square stock fire welded together and drawn out to 18". Beeswax finished

IMG_20161216_014320261.jpg

IMG_20161216_014353982.jpg

IMG_20161216_014458069.jpg

That basket twist hook is awesome. I can never understand how you guys can forge weld four 1/4 bars together without them splaying all over the place. I've tried wiring them up but not successfully.  I have managed, but only by mig welding the ends first to keep things straight. If that's cheating, so be it.

In smithing: If it's cheating and it works it's not cheating...it's just a different way of doing things.

I find welding up round rod to be more of a challenge.  For the baskets I do from election sign I hold them together with rebar tie wire or baling wire and then the secret is to *tap* them gently the first weld rotate 90 and tap again, then back in the fire for a second welding heat and some heavier hammering.