I Forge Iron

What year is my Anvil?

I bought a 146lb Anvil. It has a oval depression on the bottom and the serial # starts with an A. I was told it is a Trenton Anvil. The serial # is on the front foot under the horn. Would someone be able to look it up in their "Anvils in America" book to see the date please. The Serial # is A91602 Enclosed is a photo of the Anvil.

IMG_20161210_193012484.jpg

Edited by ChrisPTF
i HAD TO INCLUDE A PHOTO

Thank you very much for looking that up. I was told that it probably was a Trenton, even though the Trenton Trademark is not visible. On the side it says Colonial where the trademark should be (See Photo). Someone said it is probably a Trenton with a Rare Trademark (Colonial) from maybe a Hardware Store.

IMG_20161210_223448.jpg

IMG_20161213_220505.jpg

IMG_20161214_204501190.jpg

test.jpg

Edited by ChrisPTF
Base Photo

3 hours ago, ChrisPTF said:

I bought a 146lb Anvil. It has a oval depression on the bottom and the serial # starts with an A. I was told it is a Trenton Anvil. The serial # is on the front foot under the horn. Would someone be able to look it up in their "Anvils in America" book to see the date please. The Serial # is A91602 Enclosed is a photo of the Anvil. Does this appear to be a Trenton Anvil from the photos I have Included?

IMG_20161210_193012484.jpg

I'm wondering about Arm & Hammer due to the underside of the heel.  (I have one with the caplet impression in the base as well).  I'll have to check the sides of the weight and serials when I get a chance this weekend.  (Or does anyone have access to AiA?)   I know there were some mixed anvils as the two companies are known to have shared bases when needed.

4 hours ago, Fatfudd said:

I agree with Frog-

That is a Trenton not and A&H. I have had a number of Trenton's with heavy forging marks under the tail.

I would like to thank everyone for their valuable information. Any idea why COLONIAL appears on the side of my Trenton Anvil (Photo up above)? Thank You.

Many if not most of the Anvil manufacturers would make anvils to be sold by other companies with their own names stamped on this.  (Sears "Acme" brand anvils were made by HB and several other manufacturers over the years for instance)  So I would hunt around for a "Colonial" hardware store or a "Colonial" brand popular that that time.

Not an forgotten process; look at all the rebranded cars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_badge-engineered_vehicles

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, Black Frog said:

Some Trentons have the same rough forging on the heel underside as Trentons.

My Trenton still has the very obvious fuller or power hammer marks underneath the heel. Kinda cool.

Littleblacksmith

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Many if not most of the Anvil manufacturers would make anvils to be sold by other companies with their own names stamped on this.  (Sears "Acme" brand anvils were made by HB and several other manufacturers over the years for instance)  So I would hunt around for a "Colonial" hardware store or a "Colonial" brand popular that that time.

Not an forgotten process; look at all the rebranded cars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_badge-engineered_vehicles

on Page 253 and 395 of Anvils In America it says American Wrought Anvil Company made some Anvils with COLONIAL stamped above the American. Colonial is the trademark name for the Schwabacher Hardware Co. But Richard Postman said "the American anvils he has recorded have four handling holes and are flat under the base, and none have serial numbers. I know my is a Trenton because I don't have any handling holes, I have a Trenton Oval Base, and I have the Weight and Serial Number starting with an A just to name a few things.