I Forge Iron

My second blade

Ijimmyzw22

howd you make the holes in the knuckle guard? cool design. think the sharpened curve after the blade might have been better dull. just an opinion. lil more finish work could help too. just the opinion of a non knife maker that likes blades.

Two small details: first, like Daswulf, I'd recommend a higher finish, especially around the finger holes. Any rough or sharp(ish) edges there will definitely mess up your fingers. Second, the choil (what Das calls "the curve behind the blade") is awfully deep and could be creating a weak spot between blade and handle. A blade that big invites heavy use (chopping and the like), and the narrow area above the choil might not be robust enough to take the punishment.

WOW! That is a great second knife, you should be proud. Makes me think the Counter Strike games for some reason.

I agree that the finger holes could probably be softened a bit, but if it's for yourself you will be the best judge of how much. Doesn't hurt to try using it... unless it literally hurts, in which case you'll have a lot of sanding to do, haha

If you filed in the deep jimping before HT it might spell trouble with that deep belly/choil - stress risers love places like those.

Thanks for the input guys I need it. The finger holes look sharper than they are they are well rounded and it is very comfortable in the hand. I used some high carbon steel I had in scrap. Heat treated with motor oil and a quart of trans fluid and yes it did warp a tiny bit at the Chou as you call it. The wood is just some poplar I had laying around. The shallow bevel is because I just didn't know how deep to go. OverAll it's very sharp and very comfortable in my hand. I'll keep taking all the helping pointers I can get. Starting a skinner knife tonight. Her is a pick of my forge. 10 inch square by 18 inches. I tug welded from flat steel. 2 inches of ceramic wool then lightweight firebricks inside. Oh and my first knife. 

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

Nice! One piece of advice from someone that likes knifemaking but hasn't started yet but has researched a lil.  Get quality stabalized handle material. It will do you good, start out right. I think you are well on your way. Get the right material to do the job. Quenchant, steel, handle material. Go all in and see what you can turn out. Good starter pieces. 

Just for what it's worth.