I Forge Iron

12/16/16 work shop on hardy hole tools

The plan is to do a workshop on fabricating hardy hole tools. This will take place at Pat's shop. We are not planning to charge, for the workshop however Pat and I plan to offer the tools that are made perhaps by you for sale most will be $10 each, this should cover the costs I think. I plan to make the following tools, hot cut hardy, cold cut hardy, fuller, swedge, turning forks, hardened fuller, hardy from air hardening steel, spring swedge with alignment pins, this tool I think will be very helpful at the Jan. meeting so will not be for sale until after that. I also hope to make a forming swedge for cabinet pulls. Also plan to bring an example of a hardy hole on a makeshift anvil so most can see that these are not something outside the range of tooling desirable for most all who are moving into the craft. If you have come to a few meetings you can see that this is an full plate. these tools will not be made traditionally I think you know what I mean. ( I am not debating what that means.) I plan to make use of the welder and drill press, and strikers. The plan is to start at 6:00 on Friday the 16 in the eve. and be finished by 9:00. If you show up late a lot of this stuff will be self explanitory when you see it. The idea is tooling up a starting shop without breaking the bank or spending months just making tools. I guess we will see if we can pull this off.

I was really happy to see you offering a workshop Mark, we've missed you at the last few meetings. I have to say it is a heck of an ambitious list of tooling but I've seen you in action. Unless Deb has something going I'll be there. Should I bring anything?

Tristan posted a notice on the club Face Book page and it's causing some excitement in the couple guys who have noticed it so far. We have a bunch of beginner new members you haven't met, heck you probably won't recognize most of the guys at meetings. This is exactly the sort of thing they need. Heck all of us.

Is it alright if I cut and paste your message to the club Facebook page? It'll help cut down on confusion compared to one of us rewording it.

Thank you Mark.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, NorthwindHomestead said:

I'm so bummed I'll be at sea for this workshop.:( Hopefully there will be some more. 

I have heard some "original" excuses before but that's a first. :P

Thanks Mark. I wouldn't Facebook either if Deb hadn't signed me up and would get worse than irritated if I dropped it. It's cross posted to FB. Thanks again.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Birdman Griffiths said:

Can I join this workshop?

Welcome aboard Birdman, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of us live within visiting distance.

I don't know how many guys are going to show but Pat has enough room folk can watch if it gets too crowded for everybody to get a shot at the anvil. I'll be observing and lending a hand if needed but staying out of the way. Expect this to be a short to the point demo. Mark is very efficient and a definitive study in how to get the most done with the least effort and time.

So, yes you're welcome to come if you live close enough to Palmer Alaska to make it worth the trip. I'm in Meadow Lakes / Wasilla.

Frosty The Lucky.

Awesome! I live on the Palmer side of Hatcher Pass..My grandfather and I are about to complete a rail track anvil, I came to the conclusion that it would be easier to find a unicorn than a anvil. I operate a poultry business and this is what I want to do with my free time. I'm a sponge eager to absorb...

Cool, we're about half an hour's drive apart,maybe closer seeing as how they're "improving" the commute between Wasilla and Palmer. 

Yeah, finding blacksmithing tools up here is a long involved and expensive process. Keep your eyes open somethings things turn up, you're more likely to know a farmer who has Grand Father's tools under a pile in a shed he wants to use. Don't get in a hurry but you might consider buying a new anvil, farrier's anvils aren't as expensive and a lot more available but you can buy from one of the new manufacturers of general smithing anvils. Expensive but nice anvils.

Are you making the rail "look" like a London pattern anvil or are you going for most effective? Rail tends to be most efficient if mounted on end. The rail moves metal faster the more depth of rebound it has, that's how much steel is directly under the hammer in use.

Hope to see you the 16th. at Pat's on Springer lp. I'll be wearing my Curmudgeon T shirt.

Frosty The Lucky.

I took two sections of track and cut a half inch off of each web and joined the two together side by side. Gas axed the shape of my horn and I have a 3/4 inch hardy hole on there as well. I'm going to be welding a one inch thick by 6''wide x 17.5'' long piece of ar500 plate on top and considering adding a 2-4'' thick plate across the bottom. It weighs 90 lbs so far. Look forward to meeting everyone.

Hope to see you there Birdman, I have difficulty remembering faces so until I have seen you a lot I likely will not recognize or remember you. Please do not let this offend you, I really have a problem in this area, just want to warn you. It sounds like your anvil should work good enough until such time as you decide to make or buy something else. I plan to bring a home made rail anvil, not nearly as good as I imagine yours to be just as an example of a cheap option. I don't usually use that anvil as I have other better tools, when I made it I had better tools. I know Barney Anderson's father (I cann't remember his name) he was the blacksmith for the Matanuska colony made a rail anvil that I saw, really nice, he of course at the time he made it had better anvils. Sometimes a light or extra tool is the cats meow.

Another thought Birdman the purpose of this class is specifically for people like yourself. Willing to make tooling and starting out. So certainly we want you and those in your situation there. Mark

To Metalmangeler and all on this posting,

This workshop sounds like a great start.  I've been enjoying the posts for a long time and finally decided to start actually pounding on hot metal.

I'd like to come and attend the workshop, but would need some directions.  Let's see, It starts on Friday the 16th at 6p and lasts to about 8p and is a Pat's Shop.

I guess I can use my iPhone to get me there with an address.

thanks.  Tom

Hello Captian you are welcome to come, perhaps a regular meeting would be better but then there is no time like the present. look up Arctic Fires Bronze this is Pat's business I will PM you his phone number then he can give you his address as I do not know the street number.

Hi Metalmangeler and thanks for the information.  I'll give Pat a call tomorrow morning as I don't like calling folks after 9p in the evening, unless it's real important.

I've met a couple of members out at the Palmer Fair at the Blacksmith demo's and thought it would be an interesting skill to learn and try to develop. 

Thanks again 

Please do come Captain, this is an excellent chance to learn to make your own tools. Bottom tools are some of the more difficult to make and once you get a handle on them the rest are pretty easy. This is a link to Pat's web site http://patrickgarley.com/. Directions, map, etc. are on his site along with some serious eye candy.

See you at the workshop. Frosty.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2016 at 4:20 PM, Frosty said:

I have heard some "original" excuses before but that's a first. :P

Frosty The Lucky

Unfortunately, 6 months out of the year this is the reality, not an excuse. 

Saw some media from this workshop on FB, looks like you had a great time. Hopefully I'll be ashore for the next one.

Keith

Northwind Homestead 

I know Keith, I have a number of fishermen friends I give them all crap, heck I haven't even started in on you being from Butte! :rolleyes:

It was a good workshop we can cover a lot of it the next time you make a meeting. I'm sure we'll be covering a lot at the January 21 meeting. Take care out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 8:37 AM, NorthwindHomestead said:

I don't fish, (insert fisherman joke here), I work on tugboats.

What a drag and you can't even get mad when someone tells you to tow the line or  shove it. 

I got a tour of an ocean going tug, the "Kodiak King"couple decades ago. It was an eye opener to discover how big it was, maybe 20% was above water. Like living in a submarine, a nicely appointed almost luxurious submarine.

Frosty The Lucky.