I Forge Iron

New portable hole

Yes John Stick out and arc length are differnt things arc length is related to arc voltage or in the case of a wire fed welder the wire speed, looking at the weld in hindsight it is probably the self shielded stuff. I much prefer the CO2 sheilded flux cored wire myself, much tougher weld i have always found the self shielded stuff brittle. The polarity of the self shielded stuff is often electrode neg as well Better not hijack his thread too much Cheers Beaver

I'm not sure what the current weight of this is, but this is with the base filled up with quite a lot of scrap.

IMG_2011.JPG

Shifting the chain down to the base to contain the rail anchors and pandrol clips was a very good move, as it lowered the center of gravity considerably. The total weight is probably around 80-100 lbs, but it is very, very stable.

I will need to re-weld that crack, though. It's opened up a bit more, and there is now a slight step between the two pieces.

• 5 months later...

I've been wanting to make something similar to this for a while, and I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind.

1) How thick were the tie plates? I've never sen any thicker than 1/2" here.

2) Is the hole in the top plate smaller than the chamber beneath formed by the vertical plates?

3) That is a gap at the bottom between the two plates laying flat  for cleaning out punched slugs, etc?

Thanks!

Hi, Andrew. Questions are always good.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Martin said:

I've been wanting to make something similar to this for a while, and I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind.

1) How thick were the tie plates? I've never sen any thicker than 1/2" here.

Tie plates taper across their width, to add a bit of an angle to the track. These were from the thickest part, about 3/4".

2) Is the hole in the top plate smaller than the chamber beneath formed by the vertical plates?

No, but it should have been. If I were making this again, I would do it that way.

3) That is a gap at the bottom between the two plates laying flat  for cleaning out punched slugs, etc?

Yes, but again, I'd do it differently. As it stands, it's good for cleaning out slugs and scale, but it's hard to remove a stuck workpiece (which does happen sometimes. If I were making a new one, I would have the hole run all the way through, so that I could use a knockout bar from below if a workpiece got stuck.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

And here's my take: if I were doing this again, I would get some heavy plate (1-1/2" to 2" thick) and either drill and drift a hole or weld some pieces on edge to create the hole, like this:

IMG_2809.JPG

The larger hole would be good for upsetting top tools (e.g., swages and flatters) and could take a reducing bushing to make bottom tools to fit my anvil.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

And here's my take: if I were doing this again, I would get some heavy plate (1-1/2" to 2" thick) and either drill and drift a hole or weld some pieces on edge to create the hole, like this

Aha, that's a very good idea, I'll remember that when I next look through the drop bin at the steelyard.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

If I were making a new one, I would have the hole run all the way through, so that I could use a knockout bar from below if a workpiece got stuck.

I never thought about things getting stuck! Thanks for mentioning that, could have led to a sticky situation....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: my son and I were upsetting a piece of stock (for a cold-cut hardy), when we experienced catastrophic failure. 

IMG_3118.JPG

I guess I hadn't gotten as much penetration as I should have on those welds, eh?

Not sure what we'll do with this. I do have an idea for another version, so I may just scrap this and go ahead with that. 

This was all track plate of an unknown grade, so somewhere between 0.15% and 0.85%. I think it's on the lower end, as I tried to harden a bit of the scrap, without success.

I think part of the problem was that I didn't bevel the joints deeply enough, so grinding them smooth actually removed a substantial amount of the weld.