I Forge Iron

Hewing Axe step by step (pic heavy)

Here you go littleblacksmith...

Another member asked me for some more info on how I recently made a hewing (broad) axe.  I didn't start taking photos till after I'd punched the eye but I can walk thru that verbally.IMG_0989.jpg

Starting stock 1x2 1/2" a-36.  Drilled 2 @ 5/16" holes about 1.5" apart, 3/4" from one end of the bar,  thru the 2.5" dimension to guide the punch.  

IMG_0990.jpg

Punch is h-13 tig welded with stainless rod to a piece of mild steel flat bar.  Handle started strait and bent when punching under the power hammer.  Once eye was punched and drifted I isolated the blade material with 1.25" clapper fullers, also under the power hammer.  

IMG_0993.jpg

Starting to spread the blade, just using the flat dies of the hammer.

IMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpg

Accentuating the center rib and directing the spread with a top fuller.

IMG_0996.jpg

Fuzzy but you get the idea.

IMG_0997.jpg

Prep for forge weld.   Cleaned to bright metal, and tacked on a piece of 1080.  Back edge of the carbon steel well beveled precent a cold shut.

IMG_0998.jpg

Not a perfect union but it doesn't have to be.  Some gap allows flux in and space for gunk to squirt out.  

IMG_0999.jpg

Fluxed with Iron Mountain, this is the first pass weld.  Repeat 2 more times.    

IMG_1001.jpg

After welding some more spreading with the fuller, then trimming each edge to symmetry with a hot cut and helper.  Could have done this under the p. hammer as well but my boy wanted to help.

IMG_1005.jpgIMG_1008.jpg

Stop cutting BEFORE you jam the hot cut into the face of the anvil.  

IMG_1014.jpg

Edge of the hot cut slightly beyond the edge of the anvil.  

IMG_1016.jpg

Shear off the rag at a dull red/black heat, it shears easier at low temps.  Operations like this are why I prefer a flat anvil with fairly crisp edges.

IMG_1019.jpg

Single bevel grind, close forging means less grinding, and grinding sucks.  

IMG_1021.jpg

Couple of passes on the back to get it flat, weld line obvious.  3 or 4 more passes and it disappears, as do the divots closer to the edge.  

Heat treat discussion more than covered elsewhere here.  Customer reports it takes and holds a wicked edge.  He's hewing timbers from his own land to build himself a barn, so this is a user not a wall hanger!

IMG_1020.jpg

Offset eye and single bevel for hewing.

Thank you very much Judson Yaggy!

you did a good job on it! now I want to forge one, but without a power hammer, and me being really bussy, it going to have to weight. Maybe ill start first with a hewing hatchet. gotta start somewhere!

11 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Single bevel grind, close forging means less grinding, and grinding sucks

Yes! Preach it brother! I hate eating grinding dust!

Littleblacksmith

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...