I Forge Iron

Not well known "stuff about horses"

>Horses can't breathe through their mouths, only the nostrils take in and expel air.
>A horse's  front feet are more fuller and rounding than the hind feet.

>A foal's legs at birth are as long as they ever are going to get. FALSE

>Horses are not very bright, but they are cunning. TRUE or FALSE depending on who's doing the talking.

>Behind, horses can kick. In front, they can 1) bite 2)strike 3)rear, Which end is more dangerous?

>A horse gets a full set of permanent teeth at five years of age.

>'Thoroughbred,' capitalized, does not mean 'purebred.' It is a breed of horse.

>A horse has to a large degree, monocular vision, and to a smaller degree, binocular vision. That is why trainers often train a horse from both sides.

>The primary reason for shoeing horses is to keep the feet from wearing out faster than nature supplies growth.

>What is a Quarter Horse? Why, it's a horse with two bits! That's a yoke son.

>The trot is a two beat gait meaning that all four feet have touched the ground after the sound of two beats. During the trot, two diagonal legs work in unison. For our purpose, let's say that near (left) front and off (right) hind hit the ground in unison. Then the horse springs forward and the off front and near hind land together. A pace occurs when two legs on the same side move together. Then the other side moves together...sometimes called side wheeling. It is a two beat gait. The gallop is a three beat gait. For our purpose, say the near hind leg moves and that foot touches the ground. Then, the two diagonals off hind and near front hit together. Lastly, the off fore leg moves and its foot contacts the ground. The walk is a form of "broken pace." Say the off hind moves and touches. Following that, the off front moves. Then the near hind followed by the near front. The walk is a four beat gait.

Had a colt that figured if he layed down I couldn't work him, well after a few times clamping his nose shut, XXXX if he didn't figure out how to breath threw his mouth! Resorted to looting a cup of water in his nose... Only took once and if he saw me coming with a lead role he was on his feet and met me at the gate. Horses are a lot like hobbits, lol. 

15 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Had a colt that figured if he layed down I couldn't work him, well after a few times clamping his nose shut, XXXX if he didn't figure out how to breath threw his mouth! Resorted to looting a cup of water in his nose... Only took once and if he saw me coming with a lead role he was on his feet and met me at the gate. Horses are a lot like hobbits, lol. 

Farrier's version of water boarding?????????

Sorry, Glenn and all the brothers and sisters for the slip, forgot myself for a moment.

somthing like that, lol. He was laying around feeling sorry for himself after being gelded, and as horses are not designed to lay around for mor tan a few hours at a time I was making him get up.

as to "new side, new brain" it's one of those rules of thumb that works, even tho the research into horse brains doesn't suport a lack of cross talk. Something else is else is going on there. But then agai. If I had 350 degree perifrial vision I would be craizier than a march hair (oh, wait... I am)