I Forge Iron

My striking anvil coming together

Looks good, there's a bunch of fellas in Australia recently that had Alec Steele teaching the tools to make tools class selling striking anvils for $450 AUD

how many years did it take to drift the hardy hole???

Everything looks fairly straight forward but drifting the hardy hole.

are you going to harden the striking anvil??

Thanks guys!  Yeah, the pit worked like a charm, and it was a lot of fun.

Goro- I've been following Alec's videos- the Australian crew looked like a good time and awesome venue.  The anvil is mild, and I won't be hardening it.  The hardie started as a 1" drilled hole- the video shows the effort involved to drift it.  Probably only 5 minutes of actual hammer time, and my heaviest sledge was only 8 lbs...

wahooo! it looks really nice! if you haven't already, I would recommend buying the online tools to make tools curriculum from Alec Steele! It has tutorial videos on how to make all the tools to make a hammer, starting with just an anvil and hot cut hardy! I know I have learned a lot, and made a lot! will maybe share some pictures later.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 weeks later...

We broke in our anvil (and a new flatter) today, and made our first hardie tool.
Just a simple square hardie- which came out pretty nice.

1-1/4" round 4140, forged to 1-5/8" square on the top face.

Next, a cutoff tool and perhaps some round fullers... :)

square1.JPG

square2.JPG

square3.JPG

square4.JPG

looks really nice!

Littleblacksmith

great! forged from...? if I had to guess, 1 1/4" round axle.

Littleblacksmith