I Forge Iron

Hay Budden at auction

I saw that an upcoming auction would have a 170# Hay Budden in the lineup, They have a picture, but I was wondering what the discoloration is on the horn and body might be. I suspect paint, but I have also seen bad welds look similar on an anvil face. I'm sure with the current anvil shortage every aspiring blacksmith in east Texas will be there bidding on it, but before I possible drive 200 miles to bid I wanted to see what other might think of this.

haybudden.GIF

I gave up on auctions for anvils about 20+ years ago; long drives, only to be out bid by folks who wanted a lawn ornament.

I came up with the TPAAAT and never looked back.    Ask the auctioneer by phone if that is spray paint or welding flux.

(now I did buy a nice 134# HB for US$150 at an auction once: it was a commercial auction for an old HVAC business and held on a holiday weekend, so no antique dealers, HVAC businesses were unlikely to be interested in anvils and it being a holiday the number of Business bidders would be low.  Had a long wait; but only me and 1 other guy even went out to look at the anvil...I consider this the exception that proves the rule.)

I have to agree with TP about anvils and auctions.  I've wandered around a couple for several hours waiting for them to get to the anvil only to have the opening bid at or above my self-set limit.  One I went to recently had an E-bay reseller who was paying what I considered ridiculous prices for tools and the one anvil that was there.  With the recent renewed interest in blacksmithing you will have to be very lucky to find a good deal on a good anvil at a public auction.

I agree with the auction comments of others.  If it was down the block, it might be worth the trip just to see if it was the outlier where an anvil went for a reasonable price but the odds of that are pretty low.  

Although not a deal-killer, that anvil also seems to have quite a bit of swayback wear.  Not that swayback is a big problem but one needn't pay premium prices for that kind of wear.  If you are going to pay top dollar, it should at least reflect that in it's reduced wear or damage.  Better is always around the corner if you are patient.  Not worth battling the auction fever from others if it isn't a primo offering for the $ involved.

3 hours ago, Rmartin2 said:

That's about what I figured. Thanks for the input. 

If you have the time, and some cash for a possible buy, go to the auction.  You never know who will be there, and what interest there will be.  Talk to other people that show an interest.  That is how I have bought many anvils....from contacts made at auctions. 

talk to the auctioneer after the auction.  Sometimes, if you talk nicely to the auctioneer, he/she will give you the opportunity to buy an anvil before they advet rtise the auction at a reasonable price.  This is how it works.  The auctioneer talks to the farmer, and tells him that he has a private client for an anvil.  He buys the anvil from the farmer, then sells it to you at a reasonable profit, removing the stress of bidding.  I have about five auctioneers who hook me up like that