I Forge Iron

Trenton Anvil

Looking at this 340 lb. Trenton from 1910. Asking $3 a pound but more than I'm looking to spend. What would you offer to be fair to both parties. It's a 2 hour drive also.  Has a large weld, I believe factory. I'd like to spend about $700, sound reasonable, high or low? Anvils are not rare here but prices are high. TPAAAT has not worked for anvils, but has helped for everything else. image.jpgimage.jpg

$3/lb is darned reasonable for an anvil in that condition, it appears to be in excellent condition. I can't say for sure but wouldn't be a bit surprised if Trentons were welded in that manner a lot of later anvils were. Arc welding made it practical and reliable and smaller forgings are less expensive to produce quality.

I'd just give him a check unless he demanded cash then I'd stop at the bank on the way. And NO that's not from the perspective of living an smithing tool poor Alaska it's from a perspective of looking at a beautiful shop anvil were I to need one. Oh take a ball bearing and do a rebound test on it it could've gone through a barn or shop fire and have an annealed face.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. Not what I wanted to hear but I reluctantly agree. I'll sleep on it for now, the weld is what has me hesitating. Any insight as to the track record of Trenton's welded that way? It lasted this long, I'd assume it's a non sequitor but I have no personal experience. 

Greetings Gunslinger, 

.          1910 And 340 pounds ? I do not see the Trenton Logo or a parting line for a top plate.. Later Trentons were belt line welded and all tool steel from the weld up.. A closer look is in order.. I have had mine for years and it has served me well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

I was looking at that awhile back and almost bought it.. its nice and from what I have been told its well worth it.... he won't budge from his $1100.00 at least back then, and its been for sale for a long time.... I was told on here buy other members it is actually for 1926 not 1910 ..  I since bought a couple other anvils one 290 lb. Peter Wright and a 240 lb. Soderfors Paragon both very nice and both for much much less... JT

• 3 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:11 AM, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Gunslinger, 

.          1910 And 340 pounds ? I do not see the Trenton Logo or a parting line for a top plate.. Later Trentons were belt line welded and all tool steel from the weld up.. A closer look is in order.. I have had mine for years and it has served me well.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

Hi, i´d likke to know if you know something about the age or Mfg date of your anvil?, I´ve just bought one like yours.

Thanks.

Edited by Mod30
double post

Welcome aboard Jere, please read this.  READ THIS FIRST   It will help you get the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your location because so many answers depend upon knowing where in the world you are located. There are many others, some can help in flying under the moderators radar.:)

Welcome aboard Jerehidalgo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll be surprised how many members live within visiting distance and how much many things depend on location.

Please don't quote such picture loaded posts. You only need to quote enough to establish what you're responding to or asking. A pic or two of YOUR anvil would've done you a LOT more good than a quote of someone else's anvil pics. 

This forum has members all over Earth and many only have dial up connections or pay for data so down loading unnecessary pictures is a burden sometimes an expensive burden.

Don't worry I'm not scolding you, everybody had to learn to use this forum and heck it keeps changing so everybody makes mistakes.

Enjoy the forum, we like helping folks but we need to know something more than "I have one LIKE this." That isn't enough information to provide a meaningful answer.

Make sense?

Frosty The Lucky.