I Forge Iron

Second Day at Sculpting, more serious!

Today I finished this large plant pot stand for my bride. I got a lot more serious about my welding and even picked up a new helmet with auto darkening shield (what a huge difference being able to see). I made a table jig to bend up the rod. I had picked up this square rod a while ago on the roadside, the spreader plates come off an old Wheel Horse tractor plow and the rings from from an old set of cleat chains from that same tractor. To give you an idea of the size, the top plate is a 12" rotor (worn) from a 250 dirt bike. Did a distressed style paint job (a technique i learned years ago). Still need to add in a cover plate for the center diameter, just not sure what yet as this was a "build as I find it" project. I my just paint it and call it done IDK. Thoughts?

lg Plant stand.jpg

To quote an old craftsman: "It's never done. They just come and take it away."

Which is to say, if YOU are happy with it, it's done. If your gut says there's still something missing, listen!

Personally, I'd recommend a piece to fill the center, but that's MY taste, not YOURS. 

I like it, it looks good.

One of the hardest things to learn doing this kind of work is when to stop. "Perfect is the enemy of good" is as true as it gets.

The center needs some felt pads so your lady can put ceramic pots on it without breaking them.

Distressed paint? Paint gets distressed if it sees me coming.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that's a nice pot stand. Bike brake rotors are very decorative and they weld well. Those spacer rings look like brass - I guess you brazed them on.

You are serious when you bought the auto-dark helmet ... and if you keep doing this stuff you may get even more serious by getting a clear air respirator. There is nasty stuff in some of those alloys, especially automotive parts,  and you only have one set of lungs.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:05 AM, Daswulf said:

the auto darkening shields are great. I like it. keep going.

Yes sir, I am amazed at how well it works. I'm super happy so far!

Yes sir ausfire I do have and use a clean air respirator when needed but on this piece the rings are steel. I had painted it before I decided to put the topper on.