I Forge Iron

Carbon monoxide detectors

I'd hate to have to count how many times that has been posted here previously---I got 99 hits just on a simple search.

Now what would be a bit more useful is to remind folks to change out their batteries in their detectors as we start going into the cold months.  My casita runs on propane so I have a detector for it.  My smithy is designed to not have such issues even when running rich for knifemaking---10' walls, open gables, 10'x10' roll up doors that are open when forging---unless the wind starts knocking over anvils then I close it by 1/2... Helps to live where getting rid of heat is more of a concern than dealing with cold.

29 minutes ago, Bhutton said:

Keep in mind that CO is heavier than oxygen (Oxygen pushes CO downwards) so keep your CO detectors down low...Not 5'+ or higher. I like knee height or electrcal outlet height. 

This is technically not true.  Oxygen exists in diatomic state in the atmosphere.  It has an atomic weight of 16 per atom, for a molecular weight of 32. Carbon monoxide has a molecular weight of 28, the same as diatomic nitrogen which makes up most of the air we breathe.  On the other hand carbon dioxide has a molecular weight of 44, so it is heavier than the 2 main components of the air we breathe and will definitely collect in low areas.   There's more to it than simple molecular weight, and by no means am I discounting the danger of CO or suggesting detectors are unimportant.