I Forge Iron

Motor BLEW! need a new one

hey guys so I have a KMG grinder the other day the motor blew ceased up and wont move even by hand when its un pluged so I have to get a new one. right now I don't have a extra 220v line only the regular 110v. so I can either get the same one I had wich is a lesson motor (from Beaumont metal works) 1.5 HP 1725 RPM will work on 110v or 220v  (the 2 hp is only for 220v)....OR I was looking at grizzly motors and they have one that is 2 hp  same speed 1725 rpm wich will work on 110v or 220v and is slightly cheaper. so I was thinking about the grizzly becase its got the extra .5 HP works on 110v and as I said slightly cheaper. but I did notice the lesson motors on the Beaumont site the description sat its a Hi-torque motor in the list of characteristics its says high torque start and also says double sealed ball bearings. now the grizzly doesn't say anything about any of that. I don't know much about motors so I was wondering if any of you guys have used a grizzly motor like this and will it work good on my KMG or ANY advice ANYONE has would be appreciated I really need to get this grinder up and running ASAP so I don't have days to go and research every lil thing about these motors so as I said I would appreciate the help!

Just make sure whichever motor you chose is rated TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) or encapsulated for washdown (expensive, but possibly available used).  The metal dust you generate while grinding is sudden death on typical ODP (open drip proof) motors.  The other things to check on replacing motors aside from voltage and phase (which you already mentioned) are mostly physical characteristics and operating parameters.  For physical you should at least check the frame configuration (so it will fit into your existing setup) and shaft size and keyway.  For operating you should check both horsepower and RPM to meet or exceed your current unit.  High torque start is nice, but IMHO not a big deal with a belt grinder as you don't have a huge inertial load to overcome on startup (unless your drive pulley is really massive that is...).

I have had decent luck with the grizzly motors in the past.  Haven't used one specifically on a belt grinder but I see that TEFC is available so it should be a reasonable alternative.

Until you jump ship to a higher-end motor, you probably won't see a big difference between brand name offerings and grizzly at this level.

Their motor starters have given me good service too.  Yes, they're a big hunk of plastic but they seem to get the job done and haven't bit me with any failures (knock on wood).  I definitely suggest wiring a motor starter if your grinder has a simple switch--it's a safety issue that's worth it.

While you are changing out the motor consider going Variable Speed with a VFD and a 3 phase motor.  Also consider getting rid of the pulleys, shaft and pillow blocks.  You can mount the drive wheel on the motor.  Mount the motor right behind the frame.  You have a 3/4" bore on the drive wheel and the shaft on the motor will be 5/8".  You can make a bushing from 1/16" thick material.  Just leave a space  for the keyway.

About advertised HP. Be aware some of the high power motors sold from certain Asian super powers are rated at burn out level rather than operating levels. Soooo a 1.5 HP motor that is putting out 2HP as the windings start smoking is rated 2HP.

I don't know how common this is now but it used to be expected and desperate folk cut corners if they don't have to meet the end users in person.

Frosty The Lucky.

hey guys thanks I just read all the replies now my sis has been in the hospital (she has MS and is nt doing good) so I have been spending my time there but yeh I have been told grizzly or leeson that leeson might be a lil better but frosty as you said I have heard that a 2hp motor made in taiwan is like a 1.5 hp amerincan made because of how you described they are rated.....honestly I don't have the money my mother is going to load me the money other wise I wouldn't have the money my self for a month and she had said ...just get a usa made one so she the boss she has got the money lol so I might just get another leeson.....thanks for all the help you guys gave me something to think about before I make a final decision thanks

• 2 months later...