I Forge Iron

attention all metallurgists, nanoscale catalysts

SLAG

Well then Slag, certainly the nano- and subnanoscale is where the alchemy takes place in a way that we have only begun to fathom.

My amateur brain finds this quite analogous to the more familiar solid solution of carbon and iron, where so little carbon disrupts the atomic habits of the iron, yielding so many wonderfully diverse species of steel.

I fail to comprehend much of the nuance of the article, but it's exciting to consider alone the significance of the plasmon resonance implications of this hybrid material. Anyone who has observed gold under magnification, has seen the effects of this resonance at visible wavelengths.

Thanks for helping to suck up what little study time remains to me.:blink:

Robert Taylor

Mr. Taylor,

Please do not take my post too vexingly. I was just trying to bring this admittedly arcane subject matter to a minority of our fraternity who would find it of interest. The phenomena (there is more than one), is responsible for some wonderful effects in nature. For example, the spectacular color of many butterflies, and birds are not due to pigment chemicals but to optical effects of skin, or cell wall microlayers of light interfering structures. Nanotechnology is just now allowing us to create these substances, for all manner of new purposes. In this one example, substituting catalytic gold to iron oxide particles. (a lot cheaper, & it will save gold for more important uses such as our spouses' jewelry ).

This new area of scientific and technological enquiry will be an extraordinary leap for all of us. It is very nearly impossible to predict where it will lead in the next five years.

For example, who would have predicted that one of the major uses for lasers was in optical scanners for the checkout counter.

Anachronist 58 I like your style and vast breadth of interests.

I wish California was not so far away.

Regards,

SLAG.

Consider nano manufacture carbon nanotube construction materials making say a 747 size aircraft weigh half a ton dry. Body armor as strong as diamond. Electronics on an atomic scale, say a 1,000 terabyte computer smaller than a blood cell. Nanotube conductivity, how about if it were laced with gold?

Nanotech while it holds unbelievable promise, say take a capsule to repair broken bones, cure disease or heck augment your skeleton and immune system so bones don't break and you don't get sick, ever. Imagine a skeleton of carbon nanotube with atomic level augmented muscles, an ability to eat virtually anything, toxic would be meaningless. I'm not sure how we'll beat needing oxygen but I'm sure there are endless ways. Go for a space walk? Space SUIT, what's a space suit, something to wear on a space date?

It's an exciting fun time to  be alive, scary sure but what the heck good and bad in everything.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, me too. IFI is fine wine and I am a drunken sponge.

BIG GUN, it's all about strings in the cosmic wind. That's MY Blarney Stone.

Mr SLAG, you honor me with your kind words.

Vexatious content is the object of my appetite, and I continue to make progress. In the chronological continuum of my studies, my next Read is sampled below. Observe that I am nipping at the heels of the 21st Century!:rolleyes:

Robert Taylor

20160918_091420.jpg

This is the 15th Edition. First Published 1808.

20160918_091755.jpg