I Forge Iron

Rough ID

So, I am sorry to do this, but I'm looking to try to ID  an anvil that may be coming my way. I'm usually good at spotting the usuals, but without being able to wire wheel it, I am struggling to recognize any distinguishing features.

Roughly 200+lbs. Hardy hole is either 1.5 or 1.75". 85%+ rebound.

No depression in the base, single handling holes front and rear, and one on the bottom. No visible stamps on sides or front foot.

Located in Wyoming usa....so I think I covered all the bases I can currently.

I know, SUPER VAGUE....but maybe the pattern gives some clue?

Thanks guys!

tmp_12995-20160909_174719-462727228.jpg

tmp_12995-20160909_174737441147960.jpg

tmp_12995-20160909_174742295954631.jpg

Been stalking this thing for literally 2 years. Owner is now building a new house, and during my last visit she offered to possibly trade it for decorative iron work for the new construction. She's pretty attached to the anvil, but we'll see where it goes. The trade was her idea, not mine.

Hi D.C.

If you don't mind I'd say: jump on it. Good anvil (whoever made it), good size for a permanent shop anvil. And if you don't earn your living with blacksmithing it's very good deal that you can have an anvil and some new experience by forging something. (Of course holding it within some limits: wrought iron fence for the new house may be a bit much for an anvil :) ) 

Good luck with it!

G

The only suggestion I have about making that bargain is find out how much iron work she wants done BEFORE shaking on the deal. Her estimation of a "little" iron work might turn out to be 200' of railings and banisters, 30 window grills pot racks, fire place screen, andirons, crane and tools. That anvil might be her grandfather's, maybe he marched with Sherman to the sea and brought it home with him at the end of the Civil war and it's precious to her. Equal values are relative and very subjective things.

Find out how much she thinks is a fair trade before agreeing is all I'm saying. That IS a nice looking anvil and a sweet shop size, heavy enough to do seriously heavy work on but still mobile without killing yourself. 85% rebound says sweet face plate to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmm.. I've not handled many HBs. Brands are relatively unimportant to working smiths, since it's the function that all important....yet it's still fun to collect, compare, and contrast.

Anvils and power hammers..for most of us it's the only two tools we really pay attention to the manufacturer.

Sure there are well known historical hand tool makers, but there's a special allure to our big boy toys, right?

Or maybe I'm the only anvil addict ;-)

I rather like european hammers from the Lynch collection...I will be keeping my eye out for them at Q-S, unfortunately my cheapness holds down my purchases---save for the time I bought 11 of them for US$5 a piece at QS of course...I try to have backups for all my favorite tools as sourcing them slowly over time is a lot cheaper than needing to buy one *NOW*!.

I don't "collect" them; I buy and use them!  So I'm happy to miss some sizes and have extra of the ones I really like.  It's interesting too to have different handles on the same style  head and see how that changes how the hammer feels in use.  I will admit to shelling out more than I usually do when I ran across a good sized sledge from the Lynch Collection at Pennsic one year. As I recall I paid US$35 for it which is several times my next most expensive hammer's cost.

As I do a bunch of historical demos they are good in a "not blatantly modern" look and some of them can be spot on for certain places/times.

By definition, I tend to think that collecting doesn't exclude using. I can't think of a better description of my piles of blacksmithing stuff than a collection...though the wife calls it "all that rusty crap"......so i guess it's semantics :-)

BTW Thomas, I can't thank you enough for the TPAAAT write up. Every anvil I've obtained came from using your technique.