I Forge Iron

Hints for making grids

Hey folks, 

got a question. My beloved wife asked me to make a grid for our dogs car crate (to separate the dogs). Well, i simply punched a few holes into a flat stock and inserted round stock through 'em. To avoid the flat stock from gliding downwards i simply did some welding spots. Works fine since no one will ever see the grid but the dogs. Is there another more "blacksmithing" way to solve this problem? Thx!

If it works, don't worry, there is always an alternative "blacksmithy" way to sort a problem, just not a proper way, depends on your skills, and the time and money you want to spend on the project, sometimes Less is more, and keep it simple also works.

Have fun and enjoy.

So does the question devolve to: are their different ways for a blacksmith to make grillwork?  The answer is yes.  You might look through 

Geschmiedetes Eisen Gebundene Ausgabe – 1982  von Fritz Kühn (Autor) for examples or there were several grillwork examples in one of the COSIRA blacksmithing books.

Walking through the old town section of many european cities will turn up different examples.

I agree with Thomas. There must be any number of old grids in Thüringen if you look around. A blacksmith is a person who goes to a museum and is only interested in the grids, door locks and hinges. :D Where in Thüringen by the way?  You are not very far from dem germanischen Nationalmuseum and die Wartburg would have some old traditional blacksmith work. 

20 hours ago, gote said:

Where in Thüringen by the way? 

Northern tip of Thüringen, city named Sondershausen. The germanische Nationalmuseum is in Nürnberg, about 3.5 hours ride. Sure worth the trip as soon as my son is old enough for a weekend trip. Please keep in mind that under soviet occupation and during GDR there was no interest for conserving historical building, quite the contrary those buildings were quite often teared down to clear the space for new infrastructure. Of course there are still old castles, but most of them have been restored after the Wende.