I Forge Iron

Hello from South Texas

Medina2928

I found this forum on the Web.  All I can say is wow.  There is alot of info here.  I am reading as much as I can. I have been buying production knives and blades from bladesmiths for a few years and have built a good following.  Ive always been interested in building my own blades.  So I've been taking yalls advice and been reading as.much as possible.  

Wild pigs heck pigs in general are smart and dangerous animals but nothing like the recent "hogzilla" craze makes them out to be. I call hogs coming to raid the farm, ranch, etc. Delivery. One significant thing you see on the hog hunter shows you see on TV is how shooting one means the rest leave for good and that pack is gun shy to the point they becoe very hard to hunt.

Not saying they're not dangerous, just not as dangerous as current hype makes them out to be. But hunt them with a knife? Uh uh, unless it's a bayonet on my rifle.

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to hunt pigs on foot with a dog and a big pig sticker when I was young and dumb (and fit). Nothing quite like running a paddock in the dark, nothing but a full moon for light,  chasing big pigs behind a dog to get the blood pumping.

Reason you want the stickers long is to stick them in at the base of the throat, stick knife straight down, turn it over (not that you would have to with the one) and run it back up the spine. The major blood vessels in a pig that go to the head cross under the spine and you cut them both doing that. If your good you also can lance the heart. Either way Pig bleeds out quickly and internally killing it cleanly and humanely.

I've only hunted Javalina a few times when I was about 15 and I used my M1 Carbine. I didn't point my rifle at the dog and the dog didn't get in a scrap with the pigs, she was smarter than that and the Javalina weren't used to being run by dogs. She ran them back to us and we shot them. That's almost 50 years ago now and that pork wasn't all that good eating.  Different times and pigs are smart I'm not at all surprised they know about dogs, people and guns.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you are looking for help, look into Balcones Forge.  It is a Central Texas Blacksmith Association.  We will be having one of our most distant meetings Sunday, Sept 25th at the Wendish Festival in Serbin, Texas.  October they will be helping auction a blacksmith shop in Cibolo (I think).  Not sure where November will be, but December 10th we will be hosting the group at my shop in Devine.  The majority of the group are blacksmiths along with some bladesmiths mixed in.  A lot of really good people that are very willing to share what they know.

Jerry

The guys catch hogs with dogs.  This is the reason for the knife.  They don't want to shoot guns around their dogs,  risking hitting one.  The guys try to Dispatch the pigs quickly so they try to find an efficient knife.  

Devine.  Shoot I'm just.minutes away.  I'll be there

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, ThomasPowers said:

toward the Balcones group,

I've met a couple of them at the steep hollow forge event last February, actually bought some tools from them! such a small world....

Littleblacksmith