I Forge Iron

Storing Hardie, bottom tools

My main forge area is set up in a circle. Forge, 12 o'clock, Power hammer, 3 o'clock, 4'x 6" work table, 6 o'clock, main anvil, 9' o'clock. Work table with vise, at 10:30. 

The 4x6 work table base is an old metal office desk with an enlarged steel top. I keep all hammer dies, and hardy tools in the desk drawers, it's also good storage for any high use tool.

The gas forge sets on an old roll around tool box, those drawers are also full of, tools, and bend jigs. Large jigs hang on the walls. 

I try to keep my floor space, trip hazard free.

Awhile back i set up a temporary (ya right) 3x6 foot folding table in my shop to display some of my stuff for people for a weekend and all of a sudden i have all kinds of tools etc. piled on it. I have no idea how that happend. One theory is blacksmith gremlins putting stuff there when im not around. Im sticking to that idea cuz theres no way I'm that messy :-)   Picked up a small roller tool box with drawers yesterday and am adding more shelves in a cabinet next to the forge to store stuff. Should clean up nice. 

If it's an issue cut a couple 2" x 4"s a foot or two long, nail them together flat to flat with a spacer a smidge wider than your bottom tool shanks. Stand it on edge and it'll keep your bottom tools organized, visible and easily accessible.

Frosty The Lucky.

I find pieces of stout welded wire grid at the scrapyard and then build a frame to support them and then just drop the hardy tooling in the holes.  I also once found a piece of channel where they were dialing in their ironworker and the length of it was punched every couple of inches with a 1" sq hole; I have that mounted on the wall of the shop.

• 1 month later...