I Forge Iron

Metallurgy Made Simple, Metal Identification

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the flow chart at the end.  It's a pretty straightforward, step by step process to identify mystery metals.  Unfortunately it requires an oxyacetylene torch to use it accurately and I don't have one.  Still, I'm saving this one and printing up a copy to post in my forge once I get it built.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Good find! Nice document all in one!

I have successfully used electrode potential chart information to determine metals, using silver on other electrode and other is unknown,and in between is watered (sal soda, salt...) paper, then measuring voltage. (I even build small device to determine and tell the metal, will post image of it later). One problematic material to measure was aluminum (it will have oxidation layer instantly when exposed to air).

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. The magnet method can be confusing for beginners because when austenite cools it generally reverts back to its ferrite form. I like the true false quiz in your document and it was interesting to find out that you can do a spark test to identify if stainless steel is A2 or A4 by looking for orange sparks which indicate molybdenum content.