I Forge Iron

Finally found an affordable one.

Dougf

Hi, new user here, love the forum. I have been looking for 6 months and finally found an affordable blacksmith vise. I paid $110 at an auction. Most are 200-300 in my area or $150 if I feel like driving 5 hours to get one. It is rough, but I like it. Today I will be wire wheeling and rubbing with oil. I need to replace the thrust washer since it is a large nut currently. The screwbox is cracked, but still grips the threads. I'm thinking on how to best repair or replace. I'll post pics when I am complete with the cleaning. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You might be able to forge a collar to wrap around the cracked screw box.  You could then tack weld the collar to the screw box so it wouldn't open any more.  It might look like Fido's b*tt, but it might work.  I wouldn't try to weld the box crack.  That piece will take a lot of stress.  Best to see if you can find a replacement somewhere.

The screw box is the split cylindrical part in your first three pictures between the two vise halves.  As in the pics, the large screw simply moves back and forth inside it.  It's one piece.  The thread is usually an Acme-type thread and mates the box, so the ID and OD you mentioned depends on whether you measure the outside or inside of the screw threads.  For the best results, try to find parts from a non-working post vise that will let you use the replacement screw box that will fit your screw.  Putting a tube inside the split screw box won't work with your existing vise screw.  Pretty simple.

Thank you all for the advice. Yeah, these are expensive in most areas. I like the idea of the collar to surround the shaft to prevent spreading. I will take your advice and not weld. I finished wire wheeling and rubbing it with oil, I will post up a picture when completed. Thank you all.

Post Vise.jpg

1 hour ago, the iron dwarf said:

prices seem very high that side of the pond, wish I could sell the surplus ones I have, neither of them have such faults for half what you paid

Maybe I should make a trip there and hand carry one back! haha.

I don't know where he's at but here in the USA I have bought at least a dozen postvises with the most expensive on being US$75 2 years ago at Quad state I bought a stoutly made one, (4.75" jaw robustus build). for $40.  As I consider the screw and scrwewbox to be about 80% of the cost of a postvise that deal was like paying top dollar for a used car that has a totally destroyed engine. The suggestions on the TPAAAT about finding anvils that are not being sold by folks trying to get top dollar for them also apply to postvises---accessing the "hidden market" rather than only going to Tiffany's and then complaining about the high cost of jewelry...

I suggest you start reading the vise repair threads and I hope you are or are friends with an expert welder or metal lathe operator.

Hi Thomas. I am in Clarksville, TN. I agree. I realize Ebay, Craigslist, etc... are not the best sources for items like this since people who sell them there think they are worth more than they are. i do fortunately work near 70-80 hours a week, so flea markets and traveling are not really things i have a lot of time for. I will one day, and will probably come across another at a good deal I will purchase at that point. Thank you!

11 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

prices seem very high that side of the pond, wish I could sell the surplus ones I have, neither of them have such faults for half what you paid

What do you estimate the cost for shipping the larger one to Sweden?? I assume it is in good shape.

No need to be fast transport