I Forge Iron

Took one class and now I'm hooked

Hi everyone,

A friend suggested a 3-hour beginner blacksmithing class through community ed, and now we're both hooked! It's been about 2 months, and I've managed to cobble together a couple of good hammers, a RR baseplate for an anvil (they're hard to come by!), and a charcoal forge like the one built by Swallow Forge on Youtube. Like everyone, I'm in search of an anvil that doesn't cost as much as my house payment. I'm committed to charcoal forging, as I don't want to deal with the disposal of clinker (not to mention the fossil fuel aspect and the cost).

Might I suggest a sledgehammer head, a peice of rail on end or a drop of heavy stock (3" or or thick) RR plate is just so thin it makes a relitivly poor anvil, tho it dose make a good stake plate. 

Not familiar with swallow forge's forge plan, many of the forge's on YouTube are rubbish, how about a picture?

I wont waste time  with anvil suggestions because  International shipping is to expensive, If you wanted experienced help or opinions  you would have told us where to look anyway right :) good luck looking and welcome the the site. located somewhere on planet earth.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. The guys are HINTING you should maybe put your general location in the header, you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance but if nobody knows you're on your own.

A large rock will make a better anvil than a track plate. Keep the plate though it's some better than mild steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

The comment about a sledge hammer head is not a joke; there is a video on youtube of an asian smith forging blades using a sledge hammer head mounted in a stump as his anvil---doing it as his day job!  Generally we evaluate "improvised anvils" by how much steel is directly under the hammer, so a trackplate is less than 1/2" while a sledge hammer head mounted securely on end is more like 6".  It's not a perfect comparison method but a good rule of thumb.

Welcome, but get ready, I know well the long term side effects of a seemingly innocent One Day Intro class!  I won't terrify you with how much money that bargain of a one day class has cost me so far in getting "treatment" for it (also known as tracking down and buying forge, vice, anvil, etc!).  It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, but it does indeed get under your skin and stay there!

Its only as expensive as you make it. My first anvil was a ten pound sledgehammer head. It worked just fine. later I found one of those railroad track plates that your talking about and thought " ooh, more surface area, that will work great" well, it didn't. I had to wear ear plugs it was so loud, and at the end of the day my ears were still ringing.

Littleblacksmith

Back in the mid 70's I fell in love with pattern welded steel blades; being a poor student I decided I'd get them on the cheap by learning to smith and forging my own!

Now decades later I realize I could have bought the most expensive pattern welded blade at the Guild show back then for a very small fraction of the expense of the time, tools, materials, learning opportunities, etc  and I do not begrudge a single dollar or minute of it!