I Forge Iron

my first coal forge build-lots of pics

I ran out of coal once and decided to try hardwood lump charcoal.  Fire fleas nearly ate me alive.  No more charcoal for me.  Now, I just stockpile coal so I don't get into that mess again.  Some folks use charcoal and love it...just not my cup 'o tea.

34 minutes ago, arkie said:

I ran out of coal once and decided to try hardwood lump charcoal.  Fire fleas nearly ate me alive.  No more charcoal for me.  Now, I just stockpile coal so I don't get into that mess again.  Some folks use charcoal and love it...just not my cup 'o tea.

It seems like as soon as the fire fleas stop biting the charcoals gone. Around here my worry is set in the countryside on fire. The $25 a bag for Coalsounds like it's hard to be worth it too. Heck buy it from Centaur Forge for $50 a bag doesn't sound that bad for what I paid for the charcoal

ARGHHHH!!  Disappearing posts are back!  Trying this again.

Some smiths get together and buy coal in bulk.  If there is a mine or coal company within reasonable distance, you could use a trailer, dump truck, etc. to get the coal to a depository convenient to the group.  From there, the smiths could purchase and load their respective needs.  Cost would have to include coal, mileage and rental costs if a rental trailer was used.  Gotta be cheaper than $25 to $50 per 50# bag plus shipping.  We get our coal using a trailer capable of carrying 3 tons.  Ours is about 160 miles away.  I think, from reading their newsletter, that the Saltfork group in Oklahoma may stockpile theirs for members in two or three locations.  The members then purchase and load out their own.  Maybe there is a Saltfork member on IFI who could elaborate on that.

34 minutes ago, arkie said:

ARGHHHH!!  Disappearing posts are back!  Trying this again.

Some smiths get together and buy coal in bulk.  If there is a mine or coal company within reasonable distance, you could use a trailer, dump truck, etc. to get the coal to a depository convenient to the group.  From there, the smiths could purchase and load their respective needs.  Cost would have to include coal, mileage and rental costs if a rental trailer was used.  Gotta be cheaper than $25 to $50 per 50# bag plus shipping.  We get our coal using a trailer capable of carrying 3 tons.  Ours is about 160 miles away.  I think, from reading their newsletter, that the Saltfork group in Oklahoma may stockpile theirs for members in two or three locations.  The members then purchase and load out their own.  Maybe there is a Saltfork member on IFI who could elaborate on that.

I know there used to be a coal seam about 50 miles from here, but it's all since been shut down by green do-gooders from San Francisco and Los Angeles. 30 years ago it'd be easy to get. And if liberating a few pounds off a railcar wasn't a felony I'd have a ton by now. There's a siding across the street from me that frequently overnights coal trains headed for the ports. Too bad they don't sell to the public. 

20 hours ago, arkie said:

Can you do a google search for coal mines in your part of the state or maybe across into NV or AZ?

Well I called the port today to try to play the teacher card. I'd really like to bring forge work back to the high school shop.  From my house, it 30 min to the yard in the port. I doubt they'd miss even 200lbs in a 55gal drum. 

image.png

image.png

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen it mentioned to you but Charcoal requires very little air, WAY less than your megablower is providing ! Less air also means less fleas.  A hand crank, bellows or box is the best for Charcoal (and don't use the pre-made briquets, especially for cooking)

I have a homemade V shaped charcoal forge just like a Whitlox and even my tiny electric fan needs damped way down.  And yes, you will chew through Charcoal @ 4-5 times the rate of coal.

I noticed your mention of charcoal 1st thing.  I make my own from scrap pallets (free).  

My firepot is about 4" with some firebrick hunks to help mound it up in my ancient rivet forge.  Cut way back on your air or use a dump gate; the fleas will let you know when it's enough.  Does not go out when the forced air stops.   Works a treat on small stock (<3/4") because of the minimal scaling and doesn't seem to decarb nearly like coal.