I Forge Iron

building a forge

Hey folks,

Here is my first forge. I will be posting pictures as I build. I'm new to blacksmithing but I want to build something solid that works well. All the components will be assembled from the junk I treasure up in my barn. 

From my perspective, it looks like the website is rotating all my photos 90° to the left.

image.thumb.jpeg.6540b9553fa67a8906dba93image.thumb.jpeg.d4ad284b3ddb2de0ec0567eimage.thumb.jpeg.a5948e89961ec98779473ceimage.thumb.jpeg.803f72925d0060ccb44ba88image.thumb.jpeg.f4225d4001a2a84bfd541e3

Welcome to IFI mate.

If that is gal pipe I wouldnt be using it mate, look up "heavy metal poisoning, Paw Paw Wilson. Good idea on the washing machine frame, but you might like to brace the sides, those things can be a bit floppy.

3 hours ago, Brian Pellerin said:

the junk I treasure up in my barn

No, No, No!  it is never junk, it is material being stored for future important projects.  A Junk label can mean to a spouse something that can be thrown out or given away.   

Heres my repurposed dryer forge and my brake rotor firepot.   Thats a nickel to show hole size. It's a 1/4 plate cut round then tack welded to the bottom of pot.    Your going to have to make the area around the firepot flat otherwise your going to need a huge amount of coal to get it banked up high enough around the pot to make coke.

20160423_083013.jpg

20160130_152122.jpg

Not a bad first forge. While you might be okay I'd lose the galvy pipe and the proportions could be better. I use exhaust pipe, 3" or 4" for the vertical section and 2" for the horizontal air supply section. A 2" hole saw makes the perfect hole and you don't really need to shape the 2" to fit, what little sticks into the big section is unimportant.

The air supply should be closer to the air grate, say no more than 3" down and the ash trap underneath doesn't need to be so long. 8"-10" is more than enough. Then I use an exhaust pipe flap cap for the ash dump. The things are off the shelf at any truck, exhaust or supply shop and clamp to the pipe. The counter weight keeps the cap closed until you reach under the forge with tongs, hammer, piece of stock you're working on, whatever and lift it to open the ash dump. Mount the cap so the counter weight lever is facing YOU. This type ash dump is also really nice if you get a coal gas explosion in the tuyere it'll just blow the cap open and blow ash clinker and hot coals into the pail of water you keep under it.

Easy fast and safe to build and use. The pic is a drawing I did years ago, it's NOT necessary to extend the counter weight lever that far, making it a little longer is good though. This shows the ash dump as a fabricated part but the clamp on truck flap cap is much better and saves a bunch of time. All you need to use one is a 4" crescent wrench to tighten the clamp.

Frosty The Lucky.

571bae6c5359e_Exhaustpipetuyere.jpg.9cfa

WAY TOO MUCH AIR! :o  A blow drier is usually more than enough for hand work. With that much air it'll be blowing the heat out of the fire pot before the steel can absorb it. No, I'm not joking. I don't think I turned my hand crank 20 RPM even heating large stock let alone 3/8" sq..

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your comments. I should have said that I'm making a hand-operated blower — not electric. I'll post photos as I build more to help explain that. Right now, turning the shaft gives a measly puff of air.

Also I'm using muratic acid to wipe off the galvanized zinc coating. I should have done that before welding. 

Overall, this is a fun build. Owning a welder really helps this project happen. Also buying a house from a grease monkey who hoarded broken parts. :)

21 hours ago, notownkid said:

No, No, No!  it is never junk, it is material being stored for future important projects.  A Junk label can mean to a spouse something that can be thrown out or given away.   

Agreed. Feels so good to use it for projects like this. And now with blacksmithing (and welding) I have much more that I can do with steel. 

9 hours ago, JHCC said:

Now just fill in the space below the grate with sand/ash/dirt, and you're good to go.

Thanks for the suggestion. I filled it with dirt and started my first fire with wood. 

image.thumb.jpeg.34581e4bf8ec39afd776343

I added a handle to the blower shaft and it seems to put out a small amount of air. No sparks fly up when I crank it so maybe I don't have enough air when I turn the blower manually. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47f71b117922f63b843e8fb

Lastly, I put out the fire by smothering it in bbq volcanic stones and placing a metal bucket on top. 

I'm a complete beginner so I have no idea if this worked well. I'll gather up some more wood and try it again. Next time maybe I'll get some steel hot enough to forge. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg